CYBER CHONDRIA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CYBER CHONDRIA

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2017 in Research and opportunities
Hello scrolled down the web pages piece on what they called Cyber Chondria.  People have been contacting their doctors because they suffer from what researchers say is Health Anxiety.  Seeing health items on the web that they might have.  The article says £420 million is wasted on unnecessary treatments.  I feel it is another health story that interests me.  I got in too healthy eating and herbs, spices because I felt some  of the medications I was taking over the counter ones for stomach problems bought on by severe anxiety.  Looking on the web and reading found certain herbs, spices certain foods benefited my well being and helped lessen some of the ailments I was experiencing.  So am I an Cyber Chondriac.?  I try to help my problems as much as possible.  I have also found it is not easy to contact health services my doctors as the waiting times are lengthy.  Should we as a community feel guilty asking for help on the web if it useful or to we need at all times to contact the GP for every little problem.  What do others think?
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I think there is a big difference between talking about your experiences online, asking for help and advice and researching your own conditions and self help and people who are imagining illnesses.

It is an interesting thing though, we sometimes joke that 'Dr Google' can diagnose you with ANYTHING!

If you are ever worried about your health, seeing a health professional should always be your first port of call :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    Hello thank you for replying.  I agree with what you say.  I have a review of all my medication and how I am doing every three months or so.  So if I have any problems that arise I can discuss them at the doctors.  I am encouraged to do so even thought the time is short by the time I say what I want to say.  Thing is I once had a bad case of shingles and doctor went on the web pulled off some useful information.  Even doctors refer to the internet for information.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I've had GPs refer to the internet as well. I did have one tell me I have BPPV (vertigo) and she did suggest the NHS website for more information.

I've had to google a lot over the last year - because I can't read the leaflet that comes with my medication and tend to have a lot of side effects. I don't know half the time whether it's the medication, one of my conditions being a pain or something I do need looking at.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    I found out through the internet (well, my daughter found out for me) three weeks after being prescribed quite a large daily dose of Amitriptyline that taking it while taking St. John's Wort (which I had, at that time been taking daily for a few years) was a big no no. My GP knew I was taking S.J.W., and hadnt known this little fact herself. In the weeks which followed, I google'd/searched my condition a lot, and found reams of conflicting, often dangerous and frequently hilarious opinions/cures/advice, so I stopped googling and just headed straight to the nhs website any time I was even remotely curious. My mate completed the Hare Psychopath Test online, and answered the questions over and over again in a variety of variations over a six hour period, and every time it came up with the result that he was a psychopath, and we have all known him for decades and can categorically state that he isnt. I think the internet can be very useful and helpful, but I do think that the validity of results found could have an adverse effect on a particular type of individual's own vulnerability and sensitivity. There was, a few years back, an engineering company on the Wirral called Priapic Engineering, the name taken from the abbreviated surnames of the owners, who obviously should have googled their title before having it spray painted on all their vans...
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
     My mate completed the Hare Psychopath Test online, and answered the questions over and over again in a variety of variations over a six hour period, and every time it came up with the result that he was a psychopath, and we have all known him for decades and can categorically state that he isnt. 
    When I was at college, we all had to do Dyslexia screening. According to the test, (which doesn't take into account other conditions you have) I've got a mild form of it. I am aware that all my "Dyslexic traits" are down to my vision. My college didn't believe me and actually sent me to be tested - they don't believe I'm partially sighted, despite having proper documents backing it up.

I did the test. The educational psychologist basically wrote "she has this problem; but due to her vision, it's to be expected". Thankfully, the college paid for the test, else I wouldn't have bothered.
  • thespiceman
    Hello I agree looking on the web to find out information on medical conditions can have its disadvantages as well as advantages.  Talking about herbs and spices to heal certain medical ailments.  What people do not realise that  even though they have been used in medicine for thousands of years.  Especially Chinese and Indian cultures.  That you have to be careful on amounts used.  As I keep telling everybody just a small amount.  I tell my favourite story of a friend who made a curry and him and his wife in hospital with serious stomach problems.  After I had given them a recipe for curry sauce but told them to measure spices especially chilli.  I found out from him he just shook it in from the jar and did not listen to me.  I showed them the sauce in my own kitchen as they lived next door to me at the time.  I always say to people just a little bit .  Use a spice mill to blend and measure out then into a bowl with hot water the hot water makes a paste and starts the spices fermenting and ready to use.  I also tell people certain spices in tiny amounts such as turmeric and cinnamon.  In large amounts can have side effects  Can also certain herbs Rosemary in large amounts is toxic and needs to be used as a infusion and strewing herb.  Has a soapy taste if eaten and is to just flavour food please remove after cooking.  Dried again small amount.  All dried herbs are very powerful and need to be used sparingly.  I hope this does put off anybody using them but they in my opinion bring something to a recipe.  Hope this information is useful to anybody
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.