Just found out l have only been awarded standard mobility on pip and was on high on dla. - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just found out l have only been awarded standard mobility on pip and was on high on dla.

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Matilda can you help with the walking question please. @annehughes  If you have never said either on your claim form or at the assessment that you CAN walk for 15 mins then you have nothing to deny. All you have to do is say the assessor has not taken into consideration your Medical Evidence from your Doctor that you can only walk 20 metres at the most before you have to stop for a rest because of the pain. You can also say you stumble a lot and are at risk of falling therefore you can't walk any distance reliably and safely.
                 Whatever you write in your MR put after it Ref: Dr's letter dated .....This helps the Decision Maker to connect what you are saying with the proof from your Doctor. 
                I know how you feel about the lies but try not to think about them too much for your MR letter just keep saying that the assessor did not use your medical evidence and then say what help you need and why you need it for each activity you want them to look at again. For example you need help to shower because of pain when you bend and that you have a balance problem therefore are at risk of falling. Say the assessor overlooked your incontinence when saying you only shower once a week and that you need to shower every day. 
               What I mean is your MR isn't the time to say bad things about your assessor but just to tell the Decision Maker what evidence she overlooked when she wrote her report. The Decision Maker will send the evidence you say has been ignored back to be looked at by another assessor so that's why you have to keep telling the Decision Maker which evidence needs to be used properly. OK?
  • annehughes
    annehughes Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Ah ok thank you, even in my cq form l stated 20 mtrs  and the doctor gave a letter stated that l needed home visit due to mobility of only 20 mtrs walking and mental health, then just a list of my other conditions but didn't really go into detail as it was a letter basically asking for home visit

That is stated on the front of report that that was used for evidence but obviously not the 20 mtrs walking
    Doctor is doing a letter with  as much detail as she can now and l also have  letter for sugery done last year which has left my hand unable to grip well but they said l had good grip both hands so that is going in Mr as well 
    Thanks you for helping, this week has been awful
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @wildlife and @annehughes

Wildlife, I think you have answered the walking question.  Annehughes, in your first post on here you have said that you told the assessor that you could walk 15 minutes with stops.  This does not mean that you can walk 50-200 metres without stops.

Even the DWP say that a claimant can walk 20 meters, stop for a rest, walk another 20 meters, rest and so on.  I don't think there's a limit to the number of times a claimant can repeat this process and still qualify for enhanced mobility.

I suggest that you say you can only walk 20 meters before you need to stop and rest.  The 15 minutes includes rest stops and within this time you can only walk 20 meters before you need to stop and rest.  You most certainly cannot walk 15 minutes without stopping.

The Atos paramedic asked me for how long I could walk and I estimated three or four minutes.  In my MR I clarified this and said three or four minutes to walk 20 meters on a really bad day.

The Tribunal doc asked for how long can I walk.  Eventually, he settled for 10 minutes including rest stops.  I was awarded enhanced mobility.  15 minutes, including stops, isn't much longer than 10 minutes including stops.
  • annehughes
    @Matilda Thank you for you help but l really don't know what to do about the walking and 15mins because l don't even think l said that , l can remember saying l don't know how long  l can walk for but l can walk to the bathroom and back which is next to my bedroom with constant pain anymore than that pain becomes extreme and she said l haven't actually fell right over and l that is true because l do there are a number of things that she has said different to what l told her
  • annehughes
    @Matilda Sorry that should read not true about the falling as l do fall weekly 
  • wildlife
    @annehughes
                            You don't need to mention 15 mins just because the assessor said that. All you have to do is tell the truth exactly as you're telling us and tell the Decision Maker your Doctor's letter is on it's way if you can't send it with your MR letter send it as soon as you can with Mandatory reconsideration and your NI number on as separate piece of paper.Stop worrying about what your report said about how long or how far you can walk. Decision Makers know assessor's get it wrong. You have strong evidence from your Doctor and another letter on it's way so just write the truth about how you walk and send in your Doctor's second letter as soon as you can.
  • annehughes
    @wildlife
    Thank you l will try to stop stressing and l will let you all know how l get on . Have been told Doctor will have letter ready by Thursday 
    I not to bad in week as my daughter calls me and l talk to her about my worries but at weekends l don't speak to anyone apart from my son and l rely on him for so much don't like to give him added stress as he is already worrying what will happen next year if he goes to university who will help me 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Forget about the lies and misrepresentations, you will only score points for proving that you fullfil the criteria. It is likely that your MR will only be rubberstamped and that you will have to take your case to appeal, I think that you are more likely to get a positive outcome with the tribunal and that your medical evidence will hold more weight with them, they are more likely to accept your mobility evidence,the DWP tend to give more weight to HCP reports even if the evidence suggests otherwise. Tribunal will take a look at all the evidence, fairly and without bias.
    You should still present your best case for your MR, there is no point holding back evidence for your appeal
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • annehughes
    @CockneyRebel
    Thank you 
    I am going to try to have a day without worrying today. I going to show my doctor the report tomorrow just so she knows what there are saying but was annoyed with them when l went to see her on Friday
    Thank you again for help on this site from everyone 
  • annehughes
    Morning all, have letter from Doctor she has said that she supports the fact l don't agree with the lower decisions and feels like require higher level care and significant problems with mobility says l can walk from a maximum 20 meters before l get severe pain and tiredness in legs and have to rest and l have been observed having the difficulties walking up the corridor into the consultation room she also says that due to my leg weakness have poor balance and tend to stumble often and fall often l have increased risk of stumbling when tired and she feels if my son wasn't around to support my walking especially at night helping to get to toilet there would be a risk of me falling and sustaining significant injury
    Do you think there is enough there she also states my disability and that l have to use 2 crutches 
    For the dailing living she had said all things l need help with and why she feels that l couldn't do this things safety with out support of assistance of another 
    Doctor has said if anything needs changing to read it and let her know 
    The only thing l she didn't put that l asked her about was the time limit as l am asking for indeaflty as my disability isn't going to get better and my mental health is all associated with my disability and mobitly.  I did speak to her about this at appointment but l told  her so much l think this just slipped her mind, so do l ask her to add that or do l just put that in my letter, also my son has wrote a letter of what he has to do as my carer but his writing isn't brilliant so l am concerned they won't read it could he type it up and send that along with the hand written one am l over thinking 
    Sorry about spelling and waffling on 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Anne
    Your GP sounds brilliant and the letter you describe is just the ticket. There is no indefinate award for PIP, everyone is subject to reveiw , the longest at the moment is thought to be 10 years, so don't worry about the length of award.
    The letter from your son is a great addition and I would send the origional, but I would ask him to add that " This is a true and honest testimony to which I am prepared to swear "

It sounds like you have done all you can for now, Take a copy of it, send it , recorded if possible and forget it. Ring the DWP after a few days to make sure it has been received.

Try and get some rest now, We will stay tuned if you need further help or just a chat

CR

• Matilda
    Tribunal awarded me PIP with no end date and DWP have told me they will 'review' my award after 10 years.
  • annehughes
    @CockneyRebel
    @Matilda @wildlife
    Sorry to anyone else that helped with advise, and not mentioned
    I call dwp today to check they received MR that cab had se t in on my.behalf and they had and decision made yesterday. I got it over turned enhanced on both until 2021, so can be worry free until 2020
    So thank you all
  • Matilda
    @annehughes

Well done!  Really pleased for you.
  • CockneyRebel
    I am so pleased for you Anne. Another award correctly given in the end

CR
  • wildlife
    @annehughes Well done!! Note to everyone doing an MR with strong evidence and determination it is possible to get your award changed at this stage.
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Well done annehughes. I did a MR. Never thought I would be successful, but I was! Dreaded the thought of a tribunal, but luckily,it didn't get that far. 
    Just like to echo what wildlife said, it IS possible.  :)
  • wildlife
    @WaterLily Thanks for posting, I just think that when people are constantly being told about the percentages for success at MR stage against going to a Tribunal it isn't helping them at the time of actually doing their own MR. They're already at a low point and need encouragement not being told there's not much chance of any change being made. From my own experience CM's don't want so many people having to go to appeal as it reflects badly on them but they can only use the assessor's report and advice unless they're presented with strong evidence and an excellent argument to over turn it. It's easier to do this if you have a positive attitude and not just be going through the motions fully expecting to have to go to Appeal.
  • Matilda
    Also a successful appeal award is likely to be higher than an MR award so DWP want to prevent that!
  • wildlife
    Good point @Matilda but claimants still have the option of going to Appeal and if they've increased their award at MR stage they haven't got as much to do to get up to the higher rate if they're eligible. It's like getting halfway there if they started  off with 0 points so still worth making an effort to do a good MR.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.