Pip esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip esa

willie
willie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've recently been awarded pip I've been on esa since May contribution based should I be in the support group  now I've received pip

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA and PIP are totally separate, so having an award for PIP will not affect your ESA group

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope do you have any info on this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @willie,

Getting a PIP award doesn't automatically qualify you for the support group. It can however affect the amount of benefit you get by way of premiums in means-tested benefits. These premiums won't apply to your contributory ESA but if you're claiming another means-tested benefit such as housing benefit you could be entitled to extra help. There are also other forms of support you'll be entitled to with PIP. There's a discussion about extra help with PIP  that you can read to get an idea.

With your ESA have you already been assessed and placed into a group? If you're waiting for your assessment then your PIP decision letter and assessment report can be very helpful evidence to support you. PIP and ESA are two separate benefits and they assess different things (although similar in some respects).

If you've had your assessment and you're in the work-related activity group you should seek advice about your options. It's possible to ask for a supersession but before you do that it's best to try and get some advice specific to your situation.

What I would add as a final thought is that the rollout of Universal Credit is speeding up starting next month. More and more areas will become full service areas. A change in circumstances which would trigger a new claim for an old benefit will become a new claim for Universal Credit. This may not apply to you as you're in receipt of contributory ESA, but anyone reading this who is receiving means-tested benefits will be affected by Universal Credit in the near future.

If you need further help with this please do let us know.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.