Appeal after reconsideration refused by pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal after reconsideration refused by pip

Options
reewenn
reewenn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi there I need some advice with the above. I am on standard rate of pip daily living allowance and asked for reconsideration which still came back the same. Appealing due to not receiving the mobility needs. Suffering with rheumatoid arthritis osteoarthritis fibromyalgia chronic obstructive pulmonary decease  and emphysema. I was diagnosed considered disabled by atos through work a few years ago and gave up work and took pension early from work as couldn't carry on working due to suffering pain. Tried claiming esa but refused due to not working for 4 years and therefore not enough national insurance contributions even though ive worked for 45 years. I applied to council and today received my disabled persons parking disc. Why are there so many discrepancies about disabilities when trying to claim for your entitlements to certain disability benefits and why do you need to go through the stress of trying to claim these benefits. I am 62 and not liable to receive my state pension until I'm 66. I need the disability component of pip to help with my mobility needs ie just walking is painful and not safe for me due to hips and knees collapsing on ocassions leading to falls. Am I right to appeal. Many thanks 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @reewenn

Yes, of course appeal as long as you think your current award is safe.  

There is no co-ordination between the various bureaucracies.  They all make it difficult to claim benefits because they don't want to pay out.  Don't let them intimidate you but keep fighting - it's often worth it in the end.  For example, 65% of appeals succeed.

Disability Rights, CAB and Scope websites all have guides to PIP appeals.  Think about how your conditions meet the various descriptors.  To get enhanced mobility you must not be able to walk more than 20 metres, outdoors using pavements and kerbs, before you have to stop and rest for a minute or so because of pain, stiffness or fatigue.  You can then repeat this pattern.  I don't think the DWP set any limit to the number of times the pattern can be repeated.  You don't have to be only able to walk 20 metres every day, only on the majority of days.
  • reewenn
    reewenn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Awe many thanks for that. I will appeal tomorrow as sometimes you need to fight for your  rights 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome

If you haven't done so I would recomend taking the PIP self test on the B&W site.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

This will give you an idea what is required

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depending on your income and saving you may be able to get ESA(IR)

have you put your details into an online benefit calculator ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.