How would living with a partner effect my benefit entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How would living with a partner effect my benefit entitlement

ange1979
ange1979 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
How would living with a partner effect my benefit entitlement ? I'm currently receiving esa and housing benefit so was wondering how having a partner to live with me if I decide to do so would effect my current benefits ? Ie the amount/percentage I would loose in income from esa and housing benefits ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a benefits calculator here where you could work out what you could be entitled to in different circumstances.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Loki619619
    Loki619619 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    If it's contribution based you'll be find otherwise depending on their income you could lose it all
  • lisagm
    lisagm Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    It all depends on how much he earns.if he is on a low wage he might be better claiming universal credit as the main claimant, for uou both. housing benefit wouldnt change if he doesnt work as u will share a room otherwise its a % of his wage. Please be aware that HB & ESA are different departments, dont expect them to talk to each other. Make sure that you put in a change of circumstances form u can do it on the .gov website

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.