Can I get the higher grade of PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get the higher grade of PIP?

pepper123
pepper123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello everybody I'm new to this site , I would like advice on the following please , I had a stroke November 2015 in which I had my carotid artery cleared out,,last month I had chest pains which I'm now awaiting a triple heart bypass, in the next few weeks ,I'm a postie and am in the office cos I cant do my walk at the moment , I also get the lower form of PIP due to my stroke ,would I be able to get the higher grade of PIP and any disabillty payments because of the triple bypass ? I have worked full time for 41 years continuously apart from being unemployed for 8 weeks , so I have paid my dues and taxes , thanks for reading my article .

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pepper123

A very big welcome to you to our online community I do hope that we can help you with this ???

I also had a Stroke in 1998 so if I can be off any help please please let me know.

I have attached some info on Benefits for you I will also pass you onto our Expert Benefits Advisors.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/calculate-benefits

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

I'm so sorry but can you please help me with this post please ???
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi pepper and welcome

Are you going to have to give up work following your triple ?

As you already get the lower rate of PIP, you know that it is a functionality benefit so to gain the higher award you will have to show that your funtionality has got significantly worse.
    Not sure what you mean by disability payments as the two main benefits are PIP and ESA ( not going into UC at the moment )

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pepper123
    There is a PIP self test you can fill out to see how you could potentially score.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last for a further 9 months. If this is a new condition then you won't be able to put a change of circumstances in. If it's an existing condition that's got worse and you expect it to last a further 9 months then yes. Paying your taxes for 41 years makes no difference for PIP i'm afraid. If yes then think very carefully before reporting any changes. Many monay people have reported changes and ended up being worse off or lost what they already had. If your review isn't too far away then it may be worthwhile waiting for this. The review 1 year before your award is due to end anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pepper123
    pepper123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    thank you for all the helpful replies , thanks Poppy123456 , not sure when I will get a renewal , but my award is up in March 2018 , I won my appeal at tribunal originally , I will see how it goes after the triple bypass ,it just seems to be getting worse with chest pains ,breathlessness and fatigue ,, thanks again
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If your award is until march 2018, have a look at your award letter. It will tell you when to expect a review.
    If your award was a short term up to 2 years, many are finite awards and will end on the date given ie.march 2018. If this is the case your letter will tell you that you will be invited  to apply again 14 weeks beforehand.
    Most other awards are reveiwed  a year early and as thid does not  seem to have happened, I suspect the former. Expect an invite end of this year.
    Two/three  options seem to be available
    1) do nothing now and wait for your current award to be reveiwed/reapplied in a couple of months
    2) ask for a change of circumstance where your current award may be updated due to your worstened circumstance but I belive the end date stays the same
    3) you may be able to ask to start your new application early dur to circumstance

What ever you decide, you should start preparing your claim now

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.