Dyspraxia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dyspraxia

Options
Dasiydo
Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
edited September 2017 in Education
I  just got Dyspraxia and wonder if there any other members with dyspraxia? At movement in college it learn difficult. I wonder if could change people's minds with dyspraxia?
V.shaw

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you getting any support at college? @IndependentSupportServices do you know much about support for dyspraxia?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dasiydo
    Options
    Not at movement trying find rights Crouse for me but I having support eles where
    V.shaw
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    Is that a numbers thing?
  • Dasiydo
    Options
    Some time but it about poor balance skill and poor handwriting skill and lot more

V.shaw
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The dsypraxia foundation has a lot of information that may help you.

They say:
    Strategies that can be adopted by the college.
    • Special guidance with regard to both their capability of successfully completing the course of study and the suitability of a particular course to lead to further study and employment should be provided.
    • Formal tuition in the planning and organisation of work, both practical and academic. Give examples of essays, reports and projects. Break down processes to steps with an opportunity for feedback to check understanding.
    • Strategies to compensate for poor memory and organisational skills, e.g. the use of mnemonics, work timetables, flow charts and mind maps, hand-outs, word processors.
    • Training in relaxation techniques, assertiveness and confidence building.
    • Strategies should be in place to see that students can handle cooking and laboratory equipment safely. Items that can be secured should be – in order to stop spillage and breakage.
    They should be entitled to extra time for their course work and exams and have access to either a word processor or somebody to take their notes and write for them if necessary. If the student needs to apply for these concessions, they should seek a cognitive assessment from a clinical or educational psychologist.
    Dyspraxic students in higher education can also claim a Disabled Students Allowance – a lump sum which the student can pay for equipment or services e.g. to buy a tape recorder and/or for photocopying.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Options
    The Dyspraxia Foundation can offer information and guidance but for information about what is available locally, search 'SENDIASS' and your county/city. This will give you the contact details for your local Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service. They will have local knowledge and can support you in discussing with the college anything that they could do to make it easier for you when you are there.
  • Dasiydo
    Options
    It be part time Crouse for college if found Crouse I instead in at hard at movement
    V.shaw

Brightness