Esa and full time study — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and full time study

Sedina
Sedina Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi just notifed DWP I've secured a place at UNI and i started this week.
I have been able to go as UNI has put lots of things in place including a non medical helper and mentor. Ive had an adapted computer ordered and special softwear to make things easier.
Im dreading the post as i fear they will use it as an excause to cut or reduce DLA lower and middle rate and ESA support group even tho I'm still entitled to claim.
 Apart from the course nothing has changed except the course 
Anyone experience of this?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sedina

Good mourning & a very big welcome to our website and online community.

I have attached a link to our Benefit Calculator below.

You can then see what you are entitled to & what are the restrictions.

<a href="https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/calculate-benefits">https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/calculate-benefits</a>

I hope that this is helpful, please please come back to me if you require any further help ????
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    They won't cut your benefits just because you've informed them that you're now at uni. However, if you're on income based ESA, your student loan (not tuition fees or special support element of the maintenance loan) will in part, count as income for ESA.
  • Sedina
    Thank you just fretting. I hope they dont cut my money cant afford to be without but cant work atm
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Have you applied for housing benefit? If you're on income based ESA, you're entitled to full housing benefit for your area.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Sedina said:
    Hi just notifed DWP I've secured a place at UNI and i started this week.
    I have been able to go as UNI has put lots of things in place including a non medical helper and mentor. Ive had an adapted computer ordered and special softwear to make things easier.
    Im dreading the post as i fear they will use it as an excause to cut or reduce DLA lower and middle rate and ESA support group even tho I'm still entitled to claim.
     Apart from the course nothing has changed except the course 
    Anyone experience of this?

If you have a student loan this will affect your Income Related ESA, and in some cases can reduce your ESA to zero. If you have a student loan you'll need to tell ESA as you could end up with an overpayment. Any changes in circumstances must always be reported.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Sedina. The situation regarding the treatment of student loan income can get pretty complicated, especially if you also have to factor in paying for rent. I'm sure you've been advised to claim the Disabled Students Allowance too (which should not be counted as income). I strongly suggest you contact the Student Welfare Office of your University so that they can support you through any reaction that the DWP may have to the fact that you have started University while on ESA/DLA, including checking the impact that your student loan may have on your ESA claim, and that any relevant disregards have been correctly applied.
    Here is a link to the Turn2us page which deals specifically with full time students and disability benefits: www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/Can-full-time-students-claim-disability-benefits. There is also an excellent book available from Disability Rights UK called the Disability Rights Handbook, which covers these issues fully. I expect the Student Welfare Office will have a copy. 
    Good luck with your course!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Sedina
    Thank you alk so much im on contributions based ESA and DLA I recived a forn today to complete and return on the front of the form it states full time students cannot normally get benefits. I am entitled to stu loan and disability premium. Im scared if they take away the benefit apart from losing the money I lose help UNI provides. We have a mortgage so not entitled to help with mortgage etc

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Sedina,

A full time student can get contributory ESA and DLA, don't worry. Neither of these are income-based benefits, so they are not affected by your student loan income, either.

As long as you are not on any income-related ESA, student income can't have any effect. As you mention the disability premium though, I wonder if you might be getting income-related ESA too (that can include certain premiums, called the enhanced disability premium and the severe disability premium). If you are getting any income-related ESA, your student loan might be too much for you to get both, but you will still get the contributory ESA and the DLA. In any case, you should make sure you tell the DWP that you are studying full-time, and let them know about your student income.

You should make sure you tell your local council that you are going to be a full-time student, as your council tax bill might go down.

Jayne, my colleague, mentions Disability Rights UK, and they also have a students' helpline, which you can use if you are studying in England. I strongly recommend that you give them a call as I think they will be able to help.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

As Jayne says, your student welfare office is also a really good place to get advice. 

Don't be put off studying Sedina, because you are getting two benefits (contributory ESA and DLA) which are not affected by income, I think you are probably going to be fine. Still, it's worth contacting the helpline to talk it through if you can.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• Sedina
    Hi Will thank you im in Northern Ireland. I did check today and ive a form to complete but they have advised im still eligible for both. Thank you all so much

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.