Why review PIP when I have an illness with no cure? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why review PIP when I have an illness with no cure?

Teresa1964
Teresa1964 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I received pip after 18nths, my tribunal was very distressing, and 1 member of 3 in panel brought me to tears, it took the judge 2 hrs to decide weather they were going to award pip, my outcome was good and I received it backdated, but my 2nd was straight forward, but points taken away from 1 section, yet points awarded on 2nd don't quite understand why this was, but outcome was I was awarded for another 3 yrs, am dreading my next review, I have an illness with no cure as yet 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    HelloTeresa and welcome

Sorry you had to go through such an ordeal but at least you came out the other side with your award.
    You say that your award is for another three years, most awards are reviewed a year early. Sometimes tribunals don't remake the award length so please check when your reveiw is due.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Teresa1964
    Thanks for the heads up, I will check, my reward runs out at the end of 2019 so fingers crossed, mind if anything my condition has not inproved, but actually got alot worse, but am afraid to do a form my condition has changed x
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @Teresa1964 ,

If you find you are re-assessed in 2019 and want to appeal that one, you can ask the Tribunal to look at the review period too. If you can show it is medically futile and unfair to keep reviewing you then they might alter it.

I went from two years to indefinite, so have a few others.
  • CockneyRebel
    Thanks for the heads up, I will check, my reward runs out at the end of 2019 so fingers crossed, mind if anything my condition has not inproved, but actually got alot worse, but am afraid to do a form my condition has changed x
    If your award runs out 2019, you can expect a reveiw in 2018. Unless they have made it a finite award then you should be invited to reapply 14 weeks before end date.

CR
  • Teresa1964
    My last review was actually 8wjs before my award ran out so it was difficult and upsetting, as paid me to date, then had to wait a matter of 12 wks before I was awarded again, but they did back date all payments x
  • CockneyRebel
    You can ask to renew in the last 6 months of you claim. You will be starting a new claim by doing this, so new form and assessment

CR
  • Teresa1964
    Thank you, I will ask them when I phone as am moving soon too x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Teresa1964 ,

If you find you are re-assessed in 2019 and want to appeal that one, you can ask the Tribunal to look at the review period too. If you can show it is medically futile and unfair to keep reviewing you then they might alter it.

I went from two years to indefinite, so have a few others.
    There's no such thing as an indefinite PIP award. The absolute max amount of award length time is 10 years (on going as they call it) with review at 9 years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Teresa1964
    My friend has just been awarded life time awards by courts, no questions of medical needed ever again 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    My friend has just been awarded life time awards by courts, no questions of medical needed ever again 
    That doesn't sound right. You can't get an award of longer than 10 years. I've got an ongoing award and it does say they'll assess me after September 2026.
  • poppy123456
    I think your friend will find that this is completely wrong. The Tribunal often do this when they don't know how long to award a claimant for. DWP will state that the award length is ongoing, meaning it's 10 years with review at 9 years. There's absolutely no life time awards for PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    My award has no end date.  However, in practice this means that, under current rules, the DWP will review this after nine years.  
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    My award has no end date.  However, in practice this means that, under current rules, the DWP will review this after nine years.  
    Yes that's correct. I have to admit, sometimes the DWP word things wrongly making people think differently. Probably the reason why people are thinking they have indefinite/life time awards.
  • Markmywords
    Also @poppy123456 , don't confuse an assessment with an award.

If a court judgement has no time limit there is simply no arguing with it. Indefinite means indefinite.

If you're interested I could scan and upload the judgement letter?

Only if new evidence came to light could a submission be made to the court for consideration. That's how court orders work.
  • poppy123456
    There are no indefinite awards end of story. The maximum amount of time is 10 years, with review at 9 years.
  • Markmywords
    You mean a finite 10 years?

Ha ha have it your way ;)
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    There's no such thing as a life time award any more. It's ongoing or they have a date on them.
  • Teresa1964
    So why has someone I know not long ago been awarded pip for life???? Iv seen award notice!!!! 
  • CockneyRebel
    The DWP have the right to review any claim, at any time, irrespective of the length of the award, even an ongoing one

CR
  • Teresa1964
    Ohhhh. See even if it was the tribunal court that awarded it?? " x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.