Why review PIP when I have an illness with no cure? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why review PIP when I have an illness with no cure?

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    One of the BenefitsTrainingCo's solicitors told me that if the DWP tried to review my ongoing award before the nine years were up, I should contact my MP and complain that the DWP were wasting public money trying to review a claimant with a permanent degenerative condition early.
  • Teresa1964
    Teresa1964 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I understand that they need to make review s, but to put us with real degenerative illness under more stress is a disgrace, some pple pull the wool over there eyes yet you rarely here them being reviewed makes my blood. X
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't exactly an easy benefit to claim, unlike DLA was. I would think there's less people claiming PIP fraudulantly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    edited September 2017
    I'm not sure DLA was an easy benefit to claim.  When I first claimed DLA I was assessed by a doctor and a report from my GP was requested and supplied before I was given any money (whereas with PIP I was assessed by an Atos paramedic who didn't know the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis from her whatever, and no GP report requested).
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    PIP isn't exactly an easy benefit to claim, unlike DLA was. I would think there's less people claiming PIP fraudulantly.
    Given the way the assessments are, I won't be surprised if there's more fraud / lies on at ATOS than claimants.

I did personally have a lot of problems claiming DLA too.
  • Teresa1964
    I found atos lady blatantly lied on my first form, saying I went alone!!!!! Even though she knew my friend was unable to come in because of inadequate parking, which meant they had to drop me off, helped me into room, but had to go park car on street and sit in car as double yellow lines, that was 1st of many lies, they also are not medical professionals, as I asked the young lady who was no older than 21, so my second review I made sure. Had someone with me, absolutely disgusting and disgraceful the way we are treated by atos, understand they get alot of fraudulent claims, but they shouldn't treat us all as fraudulent claimants x
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    So where do all these fraudulent claimants get their medical evidence from? Doctors are not going to risk putting pen to paper to say someone has an illness or condition that they haven't got. That's the difference between disability benefit and other types of benefit fraud. If someone is going to do that they would surely choose a benefit where their own lies are all that's needed. 
  • Matilda
    Atos are the frauds!
  • Teresa1964
    So you didn't see program n TV not sure what. Long ago where that lady claims she couldn't even cut up her own food then, and was living the life from luxury, she managed to fool the DWP/PIP AND WAS CLAIMING ALL SORTS, IT'S A DISGRACE AND SHE'S PROBABLY NOT THE FIRST NOR WILL SHE BE THE LAST. IT'S. Pple like that that make it difficult for us genuinely who need it to help us live a so called normal life, if only 
  • Teresa1964
    And these are just a couple, but we are all tarred with same brush grrrr 
  • poppy123456
    Yes assessment providers lie, i haven't said they don't. What we don't hear about though is the good stories and they are out there. The reason we don't hear baout them is because if a person has a decision they're happy with then they don't have any questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

I first claimed PIP 3 years ago. Waited 11 months for a face 2 face then 3 weeks for a decision. It went in my favour, the report from my assessment was 100% truthful. My PIP review was last year, i reported changes in my mobiity and sent in the evidence to prove this. I was sent for another assessment. The HCP i had was really really nice. My report was yet again 100% truthful and 5 days later i recieved a decision which again was in my favour. My mobility was increased to Enhanced with daily living remaining the same at Standard. Those truthful reports ar out there! I'm proof of that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Nystagmite
    The good ones are a minority though. Else there wouldn't be so many going to appeal and winning.
  • poppy123456
    You don't know that because we just don't hear about them. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. It's actually much lower for those that ask for a paper based decision.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It would be interesting to see a breakdown by area as to where the bad assessors are.
    To date I have been part of/assisted with 8 separate PIP assessment and not had one bad assessor to date
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Nystagmite
    You don't know that because we just don't hear about them. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. It's actually much lower for those that ask for a paper based decision.
    Why would so many win at tribunal if the decent assessors weren't a minority?
  • poppy123456
    It would be interesting to see a breakdown by area as to where the bad assessors are.
    To date I have been part of/assisted with 8 separate PIP assessment and not had one bad assessor to date
    This proves exactly what i'm trying to say, we don't hear about the good stories and people automatically assume all the stories are bad.
  • Matilda
    Not all stories are bad - but plenty are!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.