3rd Access to Work assessment but no adaptations - has anyone experienced something similar? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

3rd Access to Work assessment but no adaptations - has anyone experienced something similar?

lezlina
lezlina Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2017 in Work and employment
Hi I have a hearing impairment which is moderate to profound at times and wear bilateral hearing aids.  Really struggling with my work environment and my employer and now on my 3rd Access to Work assessment.  Over a year now with no adaptions and my work are slow to make reasonable adjustments under the equality act. Has anyone experienced similar and found a way forward?

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi lezlina welcome to the Scope community and sorry to hear about your problems. 
    About 3 years ago I worked for Marks and Spencer. I was bullied quite a bit by my my manager for not being able to work fast enough. They made a few adjustments but not what I would call "reasonable".I didn't get even 1 access to work assessment and it took them 2 and a half years to organise an occupational health assessment and they only did that because I went sick with stress!

I'm not saying it's going to be as long a wait for you but to be honest going sick is the only way these employers will listen sometimes. I was so annoyed with M&S while I was sick I got my own back by staying sick for 18 months. Yes they sacked me but it's what I wanted in the end and knowing my work ability was extremely poor, I am now looking after the kids and my wife is doing less hours than I did but on more pay. I strongly recommend it if you can.

• lezlina
    Thank you for your response gnmeads.
    sounds like you have had it pretty rough too which I can fully appreciate as I did go off sick for 5 months prior to my employer losing the tender to our service and being TUPE for the past 2 yrs.  It's the constant struggle that people without an impairment just don't get being it largely invisible that you have to remind people is just exhausting.  I think it's disgusting that in the 21st century we are still stuck in the dark ages around equality issues in the work place.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Hi @lezlina,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems at work. We have lots of information about Access to Work and reasonable adjustments on our website, which you may find useful. There's also a list of organisations available who can offer further support and training.

I've also moved this post to our 'Employment issues, finances and ESA' category, where other members of our community may be able to advise.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • lezlina

LiamO_Dell     

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately I have had an email from Access to Work today stating that the previous assessment carried out before my previous employer went into administration in May recommends the same equipment as my recent one on the 19th of this month.  The equip is not really the problem more so my manager who is looking for recommendations that I can or cannot be based in either of our offices. The recent one has indicated that it would be difficult even with the equip but would not visit the other office under this new referral. My fear is that the reports will contradict each other and both offices are inappropriate in terms of environment and noise.                    

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lezlina
    We have some new employment advisors starting with Scope and I wondered if they could offer you any support - they will be starting this week and I will tag them in ASAP.

Till then, how are you getting on?

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness