Contribution for Direct Payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contribution for Direct Payments

Options
Abi222
Abi222 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
Hi my son receives PIP at the highest rate for both care and mobility and is in the Support group for ESA.   He receives Direct Payments and we have just received a letter informing us we had an arrears to pay back and a new assessed contribution of almost £60 per week.   I am really worried and confused about this as in March this year we received a letter telling us our contribution was nil based on the information i had supplied and also that they had anticipated income my son would likely receive in the future, for  example state benefits and pension credits. 
Does this amount of contribution sound excessive?  we will struggle to find anywhere near this amount as my son has quite a lot of disability related expenses because of his condition.
He lives with me and has no savings at all.
Any advice would be gratefully received to help me  respond to their letter.  

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Abi222,

Did the local authority tell you how the arrears accrued and what they're for? Is the new contribution amount including the arrears payment/deductions or is this separate from the arrears and the new amount moving forward?

My colleague @Angela_Scope might be able to help us navigate through this and work what's happened and whether this is a reasonable contribution.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Abi222
    Abi222 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Debbie,
    Is it possible to have a private chat please?
    Abi222
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Abi222,

I've sent you a message offering you a telephone appointment with Angela as she has a slot free now. Hopefully you see this in time and can send us your number.

Thanks
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.