Changes to DLA/PIP transfer for over-65s? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes to DLA/PIP transfer for over-65s?

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
Another member has posted on a different thread that they have read an article about changes to DLA/PIP transfer for over-65s.

My reading of the other member's post is that the article says that, from June 2017, claimants who are still on DLA when they reach the age of 65 will no longer be invited to claim PIP but instead will have their claim automatically transferred to an attendance allowance claim.  

Is there any truth in this article?

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I've not heard that. I was told if you were 65 before April 2013, you stay on DLA.  Just googled it and that's what CAB say too.
  • Matilda
    That is my understanding, too.  But another member has posted on a different thread that they have read an article about certain changes to PIP, as outlined above.

So, I wanted to check with a benefits expert whether there is any truth in the article.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Matilda - the Disability Rights Handbook says: 'Aged 65 or over: If you get DLA and on 8.4.13 you were aged 65 or over, you will not be re-assessed for PIP and cannot choose to claim it. Your DLA continues and can be renewed as normal. If you get DLA and were under 65 on 8.4.13, but have since reached 65, you will be re-assessed for PIP in the same way as other claimants, including being able to claim both the daily living and mobility components. If your PIP claim is turned down, the DWP should check to see if you are entitled to Attendance Allowance instead'. 
    I hope this very clear explanation from the Handbook clarifies the issue. 

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Thank you, Jayne @BenefitsTrainingCo

I assume that that is what the article that the other member read said and where the confusion arose.  I'll re-post your answer on their thread.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.