Wanting to get back into work part time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wanting to get back into work part time

Options
allLuck95
allLuck95 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2017 in Work and employment
Hi! I just want to introduce myself, as I have just joined this community. 

Hello! I have not used this website before so I hope you can forgive me :smile:
I live with Asperger's Syndrome (aka 'High-functioning Autism'), Dyslexia, depression and anxiety. I am also currently unemployed, since the end of October last year, due to my depression and anxiety becoming worse to the point that it was just unbearable (despite it being part time), so I felt it was in my best interest to leave and have some time to rest and build my mental and emotional strength back. Now, hoping I can get some support while in the early days, I wish to get back into work part time to give me something positive to do with my spare time and to earn myself a bit of money to afford some creative short courses that I have been interested in for a while. So I plan to go to a job fair in my town this friday or saturday to chat to some companies that have some vacancies going, fingers crossed I will do well!

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to our community..

I wish you the very best of luck with the jobs fair, please let us know how you get on.
    We have many members that will understand what you are going through and I am sure that they will reply here and offer you support and any help you need.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @allLuck95

A very very big welcome to you to our online community/website.

It's great to meet you, that's the right attitude with things  !!!!

I hope that things go well the job fair ????

Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with ????

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @allLuck95 welcome to the community, we have a new employment section within Scope and they'll be coming on the community in the next few weeks to offer information and support so do keep an eye out for them.

Good luck at the job fair.

There are a lot of free online classes here to look through, Ill see if I can get one of the employment staff to pop on to this post and give you a bit of info :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • garryurwin88
    garryurwin88 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Hi allLuck95

Welcome to the online community. I’m Garry and I am an employment advisor for Kickstart in Islington, Camden and Hackney.

Great news to hear you are ready to start looking for work again. Job fairs are a great place to start. It will hopefully give you lots of ideas, some of which you may not have thought about before. Keep us updated with how you get on.

In regards to support there are some great services who can offer you that initial support and help with your confidence as you start to look for employment. Scope’s services offer a person-centred approach so you can receive the support that is right for you. Call our helpline on 0808 800 3333, where they can give you advice on the employment service closest to you.

Best of luck on your journey to employment

Garry

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Jgeek I know you have written about getting into work before, I wondered if you had any thoughts to help this member?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @allLuck95,
    Welcome to the online community! I'm Mwila and I am an employment adviser on the brand new, Support to Work service provided by Scope. 

Great to hear that you are looking at getting back into work, and hopefully the job fair was insightful and gave you a general idea of suitable roles. 

Support to Work provides online support to disabled people in regards to applying for a job and preparing for interviews, etc, either via telephone, email, Skype or text message. This service is available to disabled adults in England and Wales.

If you would like to find out more about our Support to Work Service and sign up, you can do so on the following link http://https//www.scope.org.uk/support/service-directory/employment/support-to-work
    Equally, you can give us a call on: 0300 222 5742
    we look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

Mwila

Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @allLuck95

hope this link maybe of some help!

https://www.jobskilla.co.uk/
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wendy41 thanks for sharing your link, as this discussion is 5 years old, it might well be that allLuck95 has found some work now, hopefully so! :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness