Pip results — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip results

12crazypenguins
12crazypenguins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been awarded pip at normal level but when I had DLA I was on higher rates.this means I now lose my motability car and blue badge  which will leave me unable to leave my house.  An I appeal this decision if so what do I do next? My assessment didn't take into consideration I have had a heart transplant with all the medical side effects it seemed all they were interested in was how I got there and how far I could drive I'm so worried by the result I do not no what to do next

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Crazypenguins and welcome

There is plenty of info on thes site about MR's and appeals, please jave a look around.

PIP is fundamentally dfferent to DLA in that it is not so much about your medical condition but about your functionality

When did you receive your decision letter ?
    You need to request a Mandatory reconsideration within a month of the date of the letter.
    You should request a copy of the assessors report (PA4)This will show you which points you need to address

Please come back and we will be happy to try and help further

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • 12crazypenguins
    12crazypenguins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the reply. My letter arrived on 27th September I have benn worried because motobiliy sent a letter before to tell me the car had to go back I have read the report several times and am really confused it doesn't sound like me in some things its the mobility side I am concerned with my health is not going to get any better.I rang the DWP and was met with a very rude operator who upset me so much I couldn't speak to him do I just write to them about trying to have it changed or what is it I need to do?

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @12crazypenguins

You will have to appeal, the first stage of which is to request a mandatory reconsideration (MR).  There is advice on the following sites about making PIP appeals including MRs:  Scope (look under 'Help and info'); Disability Rights; CAB.

Unfortunately, only 20% of MRs succeed but 65% of Tribunal appeals do.  I went to a Tribunal who increased my standard mobility to enhanced.

Many assessors lie in their reports and DWP just repeat these.  Hence, lower awards than are justified are made which is why so many appeals succeed.

You could phone the Scope Helpline who might be able to tell you about face to face PIP advice in your area (CAB or similar advice organisation).
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is best to ring and follow up with a letter , requesting a MR. If you haven't received the assessors report then make it plain thet you will be submitting further evidence.
    You must ask for the report as it will show you what you need to get chanced.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi 12crazypenguins,

In addition to the above advice which is very good advice, you would benefit from getting some practical assistance from your local CAB or or Welfare Rights team, who may be able to present your case to the tribunal. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Also if you scored at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of mobility PIP then this would still automatically qualify you for a Blue badge.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    12crazypenguins12crazypenguins,

As CR advises, I would recommend that you do ask for a mandatory reconsideration, and then if necessary appeal. Loads of people are successful at appeal. As Matilda says, the PIP reports are often factually incorrect but tribunals are aware of this and will look at all the evidence, including yours.

As regards your car, it shouldn't be taken away immediately. There's a support package and you can either get a lump sum payment or you can choose to keep the car for longer but get less in financial support from Motability. In any case, you have 8 weeks from the PIP decision. If you need help thinking about your options, then as Lee suggests, your local CAB may be able to go through the Motability letter with you and could also help you appeal.

I would recommend getting advice first because as CR says, PIP is about what you can and cannot do and uses a points scoring system. This means it can give different results to DLA, but the fact that you're unable to leave the house strongly suggests to me that your PIP result isn't high enough and you should query it.

Great advice from Poppy about the blue badge - worth checking which activity you got your points in for the mobility component, as you may still be entitled to your blue badge if you got 8 or more points in 'moving around'.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.