" Atos " Assesment..? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

" Atos " Assesment..?

lavender
lavender Community member Posts: 29 Connected
The first question asked to a young Lady (26yrs) by Assesor?
Why have you got M.S ?

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Unbelievable!

How did they respond to that?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    My response would have been " why have you got a job as an assessor "

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    My assessor asked me to describe the symptoms of my rheumatoid arthritis.  I could tell from her uncomprehending look that I might as well have been quoting from a phone book.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately, assessors don't need to be qualified in every medical condition. They do receive training ( HA HA) in disability assessment which for PIP is about functionality ( and asking trick questions )

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    I am aware of this.  So assessors shouldn't presume to understand medical conditions.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited September 2017
    If you read the DWP guide for assessors they are supposed to understand medical conditions. I suspect that there may be assessors who aren't qualified or are underqualified as ATOS think they are above the law and when desperate for staff with no-one appearing to regulate their actions who's to say what criteria they decide to use when employing assessors. My MP has now agreed to deal direct with the MP contact at ATOS to find out if my assessor was a qualified Paramedic and why she put a false registration number on an official document. The implications if she is who I think she is are huge. 
  • Matilda
    If assessors are supposed to be able to understand medical conditions then they would all need to be doctors.  Not one is.  The highest qualified are nurses, with many assessors being just paramedics, qualified in little more than advanced first aid.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Local grapevine tells it that, at a WCA in Wirral earlier this year, a woman was allegedly told, in reference to her psychiatric report stating that she was suicidal, that if she was truly suicidal, she'd be dead.
    Remove the 'Professional' and 'Care' bits from 'Health Care Professional' where applicable.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    I might be able to remove the "Health" as well from mine when my MP gets back to me.
  • lavender
    lavender Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Alex in response to how did the lady respond to such an awful question ?
    Well she did not reply,with this very sick lady was a caring doctor,who until then had not introduced himself to the assesor,he replied on behalf of the lady to the effect of?
    The whole medical profession would like to know why this lady has M.S. at the same time slamming a large heavy folder of supportive eviedence down in front of the assesor on his desk.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    @wildlife ^^ nice one, centurion  :D
  • Maggs3pets
    Maggs3pets Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Assessed by ATOS , "Nurse", on paper a few yrs ago.  She took 4 illnesses out of about 14 and " assessed" me on them.  The irony is I worked when I had all 4 illnesses it was after the other illnesses surfaced that I was medically retired from work.  When my GP read her "assessment" he said,  "Where's all the others if your name wasn't on this I wouldn't know who she was assessing.".   I appealed and got high rate of mobility and middle rate of care.  Been in the suppt group every assessment since.  Got PIP letter today.  Dreading the form but getting help with it.  
  • ericsteele123
    ericsteele123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Good to be getting the needed help as with all the uncertainty and stress you tend to fall apart and find the situation impossible to cope with on your own, I know I do.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.