Forthcoming PIPS assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forthcoming PIPS assessment

Options
harryboy
harryboy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Am really worried about my assessment, being mentally and physically disabled I am freaking out with the worry and stress of it all. Any advice would be most welcome.
How long do I have to wait to be called in for my assessment, from Caplta recieving my form to them inviting me to an interview.?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    There's not really a time scale, it all depends on the backlog in your area. Is this a first time claim or do you already have a PIP award?

Take someone with you if possible. The questions they ask you will be based on what you put on the form. Don't just answer those questions with a yes or no, explain everything in as much detail as possible. Think before you speak. They'll be watching you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. As you're claiming for physical disability as well they'll ask you to do some movements. For EG, lift your legs, arms etc. If you can't do this them tell them stating the reasons why. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • harryboy
    Options
    Hi Poppy 123456 and thanks for your feedback. This for me is a first time claim for PIP. I think that I am freaking out cos everyone I talk to says it's hard to claim but surely if you are telling the truth and have back up from your GP and hospital Doctors you have nothing to fear or Am I just too naive.. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Well i wouldn't say it's an easy benefit to claim. Having an understanding of what it's all about will help. Those PIP descriptors are really important because they use those to score you points throughout the assessment. Having evidence does help of course, the more the better.

Remember that mostly we read the bad things on the internet. Those that have the award they want, don't have any questions to ask so we don't hear about their journey. Both my PIP assessments were ok and my reports were 100% truthful. Yes they can lie and contradict theirself a lot of times but we also don't hear of the good reports. Just explain everything in as much detail as possible and avoid those yes or no answers. A few days after the assessment you can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea on what the decision will be. Mostly the decision maker goes with what's stated on that report, they very rarely go against it. Good luck!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @harryboy

Don't drive yourself to the assessment - take a taxi if necessary.  Assessors (and some Tribunals) seem to think that ability to drive indicates only a low level of daily needs disabilities, and good ability to plan journeys.  Assessor probably will ask how you travelled to assessment

Watch out for trick questions.  I was asked if I had any pets which would indicate a certain level of energy to look after them, especially dogs.  I told assessor I had difficulty chopping/peeling veg and she asked if ever I just didn't bother to try to prepare a meal from scratch and instead settled for a sandwich.  People have been refused points for not trying to try to prepare a traditional meal and instead just getting themselves a bowl of cereal or pot noodle (preparing cereal or pot noodle counts as being able to prepare a meal from scratch)!  I told assessor I always persevere chopping/peeling until forced to give up because of pain or stiffness or danger of cutting myself.

You might be asked what your hobbies are.  Doing craft work would indicate a high level of manual dexterity.  And going to the gym/swimming would indicate a certain level of physical strength and stamina.

Assessor might ask if you do your own housework.

I was asked if I could bend down to put on a sock.

On mobility, I was asked if I were half way down a hospital corridor on the way to an appointment and remembered I'd left something in the car, would I go back for it.  Replied that I always take taxis to hospital.

Assessor probably won't think you have serious mobility issues if you don't need to use a walking aid.

For enhanced mobility you must not be able to walk more than 20 aided or unaided metres before you need to stop and rest, 12 points.  For standard mobility 10 points you must not be able to walk more than 50 metres aided or unaided.  For standard mobility 8 points I think you must be not be able to walk more than 200 metres aided.

Good luck!
  • harryboy
    Options
    Thanks Matilda 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Between 50-200 metres aided or unaided is 4 points and wouldn't get you an award. If you usually use an aid when walking then take it on the day of your assessment. If you don't use an aid then obviously don't take one.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Correction:

Mobility criteria - moving around: 

Up to 20 metres aided = 12 points (enhanced)

20-50 metres aided = 10 points (standard)

20-50 metres unaided = 8 points (standard)
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Options
    @Matilda
    Hiya, its 'Can stand and then move unaided for 20 metres but no more than 50 metres', or words to that effect;
    awards arent won or lost on one descriptor, anyway, @harryboy, but are accumulated from different questions/descriptors mate. Good luck with it, but, as Matilda says above, be on your guard for sneaky, seemingly innocent questions, and take somebody with you for support. Lots of us have started to post reports of details of our own assessments - I only had mine three weeks ago, and have posted a detailed account - and it wouldnt do any harm to read everything everyone has posted up about the pip assessment. There's tons of useful info on here.

• harryboy
    Options
    Thanks Barrylad,I wondered if you could direct me to the detailed account of different people please .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi @harryboy

You might find these different threads on PIP/DLA useful: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla.

Hope that helps!
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Options
    @harryboy,
    While I dont know how to direct you to the detailed accounts others have posted - they are on here, have a scout through when youve got time - if you click on my name and look under my discussions, mine is under 'Pip "Consultation" yesterday morning', and I've added as much info as I can mate. There will also be tons of stuff under the link Pippa has posted in the above comment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.