Just starting the process of claiming p.i.p. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just starting the process of claiming p.i.p.

jomumto3
jomumto3 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just starting the process of claiming p.i.p.  for my Son and carers allowance also. Didn't realise it would take so long. Would have started months ago if I had known.  Any advice?

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    hello @jomumto3 and welcome to the forum.

How far into the process are you?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @jomumto3,

Welcome to the community. How can we help?

If you need advice on filling in the form - there's an excellent guide to each question on the CAB website.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @jomumto3

You can ask DWP for an extension of time for submission of PIP claim.  Don't let them fob you off.  I told DWP I needed to seek help completing form and they gave me two extra weeks.

Disability Rights website also has a good guide to claiming PIP including a draft diary.  Good idea to submit a 7-day diary with PIP claim.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    @jomumto3 if your son doesn't already have a DLA care award then you won't be able to claim Carers Allowance until he has a daily living award for PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jomumto3
    I sent a letter to them on the 21/9 requesting a form and heard nothing yet.  I was hoping to apply for the carers allowance while I was waiting but didn't realise I couldn't do that. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to start the PIP claim by ringing the claim line

Claim by telephone or textphone

Before you call, you’ll need:

• your contact details, for example telephone number
    • your date of birth
    • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
    • your bank or building society account number and sort code
    • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
    • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

You can then call the PIP claims line.

DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jomumto3
    It's for my Son and he is unable to use the phone.That is why I requested the form to fill out.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    you can make the call but your son would have to confirm the security questions, is that possible ?
    Otherwise you need to request a PIP 1 which is the info they go through on the phone but I have heard of great difficulties whith this route
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.