Pain in the butt. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain in the butt.

BrianC
BrianC Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi everyone I would like to discuss with you about the old enemy sciatica.
Please could anybody help me to try and understand why my sciatica which I have had one way or another for the last 18yrs, with many operations and procedures including a cage and screws to try and stabilise my lumbar spine.
Since Xmas 2016 for some reason my buttocks have become really painful, so much so that I am unable to sit or even lie on my back. My life is bloody miserable and I am missing so much family life.
Has anybody else suffered from this and if so what has been done for you if anything????

Many thanks for reading my post.
Brian. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BrianC and welcome to the community.

Yes I do know what you are talking about and while not suffering from it as badly as you it does restrict my ability to walk. I used to get appointments with a trainee osteopath via the doctor but this was stopped as it was meant to be a temporary measure and not for a recurring problems. This was through the British School of Osteopathy, now known as the University College of Osteopathy.

They do run a clinic in East London and as I recall students are in their 3rd or 4th year students (cannot remember which). It is a lot cheaper than going to a qualified osteopath and I have only had good experiences with them. Appointments follow the same pattern, a discussion to what your concerns are, a quick examination, they then go to speak to their tutor to discuss what they propose to do and then the treatment. During the treatment stage one of tutors will come in and talk to the student and may examine you.

As I recall the buttock treatment was particularly painful and uncomfortable to begin with, but just about tolerable. The reason for this is they use their elbow for deep muscle massage. For me it usually took 3 or 4 sessions before I really started to feel the benefits. This was only 1 part of the treatment for a number of issues.

I am hoping to hear on Monday if a promotion is going through or long term secondment which will have a big impact on my income. Part of this increase I plan to put aside so I can continue with this treatment as so far it has been the most effective treatment I have been offered.

If you are not based in London it would be worth asking your doctor if you can be referred to an osteopath, or if there is a similar teaching college near you which provide clinics.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BrianC I saw this Sciatica Support forum that may be able to help?

This info comes from the NHS site.

Treating sciatica
    Most cases of sciatica pass in around six weeks without the need for treatment.
    A combination of things you can do at home – such as taking anti-inflammatory painkillers for any back pain, staying active and exercising, and using hot or cold packs – may help reduce the symptoms until the condition improves.
    Further treatment may be needed in some cases, such as:
    • an exercise programme under the supervision of a physiotherapist
    • injections of anti-inflammatory and painkilling medication into your spine
    • stronger painkiller tablets
    • manual therapy (treatments such as manipulating the spine and massage, usually carried out by physiotherapists, chiropractors or osteopaths)
    • psychological therapy and support
    In rare cases surgery may be needed to correct the problem in your spine.
    Read more about treating sciatica.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Tellytubbies
    Tellytubbies Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi.just.read.your.post.pain.in.your.sounds.as.if.it.s.coming.from.your.hip.it.s.early.symtoms.i.m.afraid.last.year.i.began.getting.pain.through.buttocks.and.down.leg.like.electric.shock.i.was.sent.to.see.orthopedic.and.he.said.i.have OA.
  • BrianC
    BrianC Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Thanks to everyone that either commented on my text or just read it.
    I have had a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon who has no idea what is causing my issues. 
    He has now agreed to scan me so fingers crossed I find an answer and get treatment. 
    Many thanks. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I Brain I really hope that you get tha answers and help you need

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi Brian, have you talked to anyone about chronic pain syndrome.... I. E. Having pain where tissue damage has healed?

Also, perhaps a refer all to a pain clinic to deal with pain as well as your other explorations may help? Pain medication to be able to cope but also pain physio, less invasive trees tents, therapy (which I was a total sceptic on and now recommend almost evangelically....)

In terms of missing family life, that's the pits. How's that going? 

Brightness