DLA to PIPs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIPs

rhinos
rhinos Community member Posts: 63 Connected
no matter how many times  i said  I could not  walk aided or  unaided to 20 yards and  beyond

my interviewer  ( occupational therapist)

just re asked the  question  from another point

"so if you cant  walk  20  metres- maybe you can  walk to the end of your  street?"

"r your car parked  more than  20 metres away"

designed to catch me out

she did not read my GP report or physiotherapist report  pre interveiw

and  seem frustrated when I answered the  question by saying please see my answer already  given in the medical evidence  report

I felt is  was like an  inquisition at times

I have three or  for  conditions

heart disease

osteoarthritis- in all joints
IBS

nerve damage from inguinal hernia

torn cartilage-and medial ligament

So she then asks what makes walking  difficult

I say the  "combination of  all presenting co-mormidities"

and she looks as tho I am speaking a foreign language..

I have my GP  report and  physiotherapist report  saying i cant  walk  20 yards

but  I feel daunted by the interveiw

I await the out come nervously

Comments

• ericsteele123
    ericsteele123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sounds like the normal attitude causing more unnecessary stress
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is hard to try and guess how these assessments turn out. It does sound a bit like an inquisition.
    You can request a copy of the report from DWP which will give you an indication
    I hope you get the right decision

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • rhinos

I just hope she  wont  go against  the  written evidence

When I mentioned the bogus  promise of  reading your  GP evidence  ( as they dont request it)

there was not a hint of  shame

-so I took my  own in.

Are they paid performance outcome targets too- I think so ?

she was so keen to  fail me-and put  words in my mouth.

also **** off that  I wanted to steer the interveiw in partnership with her

and  I think because I had my supply of medical evidence

I am saving my cardiologist report for appeal- if i fail- or they fail me

It felt  very  intimidating for me

as a consultant psychologist  doctor  and fellow
  • rhinos
    cr

they told me  to await outcome

before

You can request a copy of the report from DWP which will give you an indication
    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/36512/dla-to-pips#jhjtxuWe86DU6kG2.99

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @rhinos

I hope your outcome is the one you want.

Anyone should be careful how they answer if they are asked for how long they can walk rather than how far.  This question is designed to catch you out.

Many assessments and tribunals are inquisitions.  And both my Atos assessor and the tribunal doctor asked for how long could I walk.  They would infer from how long I said I could walk how far I could walk.  I'd never timed for how long I could walk so I guessed and told assessor three or four minutes.  I was awarded standard mobility.  In my appeal submission I clarified this by saying three or four minutes to walk 20 metres on a bad day.

Tribunal doctor and I kept misunderstanding each other and finally he settled for my being able to walk for 10 minutes around a shop - including stops.  Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility.

Don't be intimidated.  If you can't walk farther than 20 metres before you need to stop and rest, don't let them twist what you say to make it seem that you can walk farther than the 20 metres.
  • rhinos

and  why  do they ask the  suicide and attempts question?

does this mean they treat your application differently?
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    It's an awful experience 

when asked about mental health regarding suicide I answered that I didn't think it was appropriate to talk about the subject and would prefer to discuss that subject with a therapist... 

unimaginable how it's affecting a high number of people 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @rhinos I would advise you to ignore the assessor's statement about not being able to request the assessment report till after you get the decision. Unless the situation has changed since my assessment last January it's not up to them and is said to prevent or delay you seeing the report and therefore being able to use it to do a Mandatory Reconsideration. It's DWP's decision when they send out your report as by the time you request it that's where it is. Having been sent to DWP by your assessor. Ring DWP and ask for it to be sent to you asap and let us know what happens. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @rhinos

@wildlife is right - the DWP will send out the assessor's report before the decision letter if you request it so ask the DWP on Monday.  I asked DWP for a copy of my report the day after my assessment and it arrived 10 days later, with the report arriving a few days after that.
  • rhinos
    Did it  give  you an indication of what was to come?

or refer to any medical information you had submitted?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @rhinos It isn't just an indication of what is to come, from a medical point of view it IS what is to come. The Decision makers have no medical qualifications or knowledge so they rely entirely on the opinion of the assessor. My assessment report didn't mention any meical information in fact the opposite was the case. Medical evidence was ignored in favour of the opinion of a far less qualified so called health professional. They are supposed to read all the evidence before your assessment but it was obvious on my report that had not been done. You need to stay one step ahead and get your report as soon as you can. ATOS even have on their website that you can't get the report till after the Decision has been made. This is not true, all it takes is a phone call to DWP to have it sent to you.  
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    The system is not only creating a cruel experience it's a complete waste of time energy and money and should be regarded as manslaughter for the damage it causes - for those who are successful must be a v low % so I sincerely hope things improve soon and your answer is what you want 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.