ESA appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA appeal

noshi
noshi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
who much time to take for esa appeal

Comments

• Sonal_Alumni
    Sonal_Alumni Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Noshi,

The DWP say they take as long as necessary to complete a mandatory reconsideration. This could be as little as 14 days in simple cases, but it can also take much longer. It's difficult to say how long it will take after 14 days but let us know when you hear back 

Sonal - Helpline Information officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @noshi

Welcome to our website and online community !!!!

I have posted the info on ESA please let me know if you have any questions with it ????

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/esa
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Noshi

As you probably know, you have to get a response to your mandatory reconsideration (MR) letter before you can appeal. You send a copy of the MR in to the tribunal service with your appeal.

The DWP have to write a response to your appeal, and then you're sent a "bundle " of paperwork containing all the correspondence and evidence so far. The tribunal have to "list" the appeal at one of their hearing venues, hopefully in your nearest town. You can ask for a nearer venue if you need to.

The listing process can take 3 or 4 months as there are backlogs at some venues. So altogether, the appeal might take 4 or 5 months to be heard, sometimes longer. 

Best wishes

Gill
  • STOKIE7
    STOKIE7 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Mine took 7 months.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.