My husbands assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My husbands assessment

dude
dude Community member Posts: 22 Connected
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi everyone, 

My husband had his assessment a few weeks back and now waiting on decision.  We asked for the report and received it back and feel like it went well.   She did twist a few things but most was written well.  She put about his serve RA and stated she could see that he was in pain and in all probability would be restricted to moving no more then 20meters which he can't.  We are in desperate need of help and our world collapsed when he was diagnosed a few years back and he had worked all his life and he is only in his 30s.   I just hope the person now looking at his assessment reads it and doesn't decide against the assessor.  I will keep updated but points wise from the assessment we should qualify for enhanced on both but only time will tell. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is unusual for the DM to go against the HCP report and recomendation. I hope you get your decision soon, money doesn't make up for the problems that your husband has but can ease the pressure of daily living

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • dude
    Thanks for the reply cockney rebel, this site as been excellent to find out more information.  We are desperate for help so we are on edge now everyday waiting for that final decision.  First time round he didn't even get an assessment  as the evidence was enough for enhanced living and standard mobility but the mobility is very important to us as he has got pretty bad in the last year and a bit.  
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dude Good luck!! Do let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions, please let us know :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dude
    Thank you @Sam_Scope Just 1 question Please if you can help, as my husband qualifies for enhanced pip why does he only get work related ESA (£73) I care for him 24/7 which he obviously needs but when I asked if there is any help I could get besides the CA and they told me I couldn't???? And that the claim was for the both of us.  We are both over 30.  My name is never on any ESA letters. 

Thank you
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you put your derails into an on line benefits calculator ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dude

A very big welcome to you to our website & community.

Have you come accross our online benefit caculator ??

This is on our home page & it willl let you know what benefits are potently avalible.

Please please let me know if I can help you further with this  ???
  • dude
    Been told we have to wait for a ESA assessment now.  Could be waiting a long time as it's already been months to get an appointment.  Thanks anyway, will keep the site posted with updates. 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
     @dude I think it would help at this stage to explain how the system works as no-one else has said this. The Decision Makers have NO medical qualifications nor any medical knowledge whatsoever. They rely entirely on the advice given by the assessor. As the assessor has recommended higher rate in both components the only way that would change is if more evidence was supplied which changed your husbands needs and which you have obviously not needed to do. Even if that was the case and say it did put doubt in the mind of the Decision Maker they would still have to send the case back to be reviewed by another assessor for any change in the chosen descriptors to be made. As this doesn't apply in your husband's case I think this will reassure you that the Decision is unlikely to be any different to the advice given by the 1st assessor. 
  • dude
    Thank you @wildlife for that comment, still waiting but should hear something soon hopefully. 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @dude you're welcome. The first decision is usually quite quick as it's mostly done by copying from the assessor's report apart from the amount of content and reasoning which is much shorter. Good Luck let us know how it goes..
  • dude
    I will let you know @wildlife, I think it was 4 weeks yesterday but judging by what the lady said anything between 4 and 8 weeks. 
  • gazza47
    gazza47 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    We waited nearly 5 weeks for a decision, in the end we rang them and when the DWP advisor heard how long we'd been waiting she said she'd put it down as urgent.... 24 hours later they rang us back and told us their decision over the phone and it was great news... I would ring them if I were you, don't sit there biting your nails you need to push them..... Good luck and I hope it goes well
  • dude
    Thank you @gazza47, we are definitely going crazy here waiting lol don't know if it's because of the area why it's taking so long.
  • gazza47
    You have to keep pushing or you'll get nowhere...... When we rang the advisor was really nice and said we should've had a decision by now, and when she went to investigate she found our case papers on a stack of other papers just forgotten about, so she pushed it through for us... Luckily she just happened to be in charge of that department so that helped.... But my point is you must keep pushing, cos it's a safe bet that your case papers are just lying around like ours were..... Hope you get it sorted anyway, keep us updated
  • dude
    we have just called them and the lady said we should have a answer by the end of the week so we are going to give them a call Friday and fingers crossed they have an answer for us.  We let you know, thanks again for your help @gazza47
  • gazza47
    You're welcome anytime, but I told you didn't I?.... Good luck
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck @dude, we'll be thinking of you! 
  • dude
    Thank you very much everyone been a massive help and certainly put our minds at ease 
  • dude
    edited October 2017
    Had a letter today dated 4th so it's take a week to get to him lol they have all the information to make the decision and we don't need to call them and they will be in contact.  What's the point, may as well just send the decision letter.  Does anyone know how long it takes from that letter?  Thanks  
  • gazza47
    give it a week and if you don't hear anything ring them anyway. that's what we did..... they're happy to let it drag on that's why they say no need to contact them....  you're very close to a decision though, hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer now

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.