Research- Moving to Florida — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research- Moving to Florida

rachaelsimpson
rachaelsimpson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2017 in Research and opportunities
Hello you amazing people,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am 34 and a registered nurse in learning disability in the UK and have been a care worker my whole life ( I started young), I also cared for my father before he passed away 3 years ago from Cancer ( as much as he would let me).

I am in the process of relocating to Orlando Florida, USA, (I'm very lucky I know.)

It has saddened me that I am not able to continue working as an RNLD in the USA as they don't recognise my qualification.

I have a passion in empowering and improving the lives of people with disabilities, their carers and family.

So I am looking at setting up a travel/ respite/ holiday/ full care and support for people who would love to go on holiday in Orlando Florida.

I would love to create an organisation like make a wish and be able to provide dream holidays for free or heavily subsidised through a none for profit foundation.

At the moment though I am doing some research on what people would like to have in place when going on a big holiday?

Would it be a good idea to have the whole package- travel, accessible accommodation, transport, additional carers, equipment?

Would you look to book with an agent or buy it all separate?

Any other relevant information, suggestions is gratefully received.

Thank you again and remember

'To make a difference to someone's life you don't have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful or perfect. You just have to care' Quote Mandy Hale

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @rachaelsimpson,

Wow! Best of luck with your new adventure, it sounds like it could be an incredible new endeavour. Would anybody like to offer some suggestions?
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Hi,
    My wife is Californian so we know a little about the USA.
    If you are disabled yourself there is very little chance of you being allowed to stay and work there let alone become a Citizen. Eugenics is alive and well in Trumpton as it was in Obamaville.
    Health Care is for the wealthy and the very poor, if you have the misfortune to be one of the majority on middling wages and get ill or become disabled, without it being someone else's fault, you are plain out of luck.
    The climate in Florida is OK for a visit but temperatures are high and humid. 
    Please do your investigations thoroughly before leaving. My wife suggests spending a summer there before you make up your mind.
    Good luck,
    Jon (and Chrysi)

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.