PIP Tribunal on the 11th — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal on the 11th

mentes
mentes Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all have my 1st tribunal on the 11th not sure what to expect, nervous and unprepared, but still going to give my reasons on the day and hopefully my experience will be able to hellp others hopefully.
Will update all on the day 

Mentes

Comments

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hope you're ok and wish you all the best 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your Hearing, @mentes!

Both Scope and Disability Rights websites have guides to PIP Tribunals.  And below is what I posted after my successful Tribunal in May.

"Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

• mentes
    Thanks all for the wishes just thinking about some last minute things that might help me fingers crossed 
  • mentes
    Well had my hearing at the tribunal and won they awarded me the mobility at a higher rate. I was so nervous also a week before all my paperwork got mislaid, but me and my partner  sat and answered all there questions.
    My advice if you know your right go and speak out, do explain I found tribunal  to be very concerning they could see I was nervous and allowed me to go at my own pace the Dr asked so many questions the other guy on the panel was watching and studying me like a hawk.
    Basicly they could clearly see my condition, and the DWP tried to be clever by using my original application before my operation  and didn't go by my home assessment caries out by atos, and I also pointed out I was never at any point asked or assed on my walking.
    My advice  always read through every page of the paper work, anything no matter how small or you might think not worth mentioning, do bring it up at the hearing.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Congrats on getting the award you deserve

Thanks for posting, we don't see many positive results and yours will give hope to many going through the same thing

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mentes
    Thanks everyone  I'm not going to lie but it was stressful and, like a lot of people are saying,  they are making it harder.
    Ever since I have been like this since my opp, I keep saying to myself when will all these forms  and interviews phone calls stop. All this trying to get support or help have they once, ever asked if my ex employer has even tried to contact me or offer any support, I would love a name and shame an employer who doesnt support there employees who are disabled,
    because my one should be top of the ashamed list they actually disgust me.

Please if any one needs help with forms or any questions please let me know an if I can help or advise I will 
    Thanks again everyone 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.