PIP MOBILITY — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP MOBILITY

Options
phill36
phill36 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi i was turned down for the mobility side of pip, even though my doctor has sent letters stating  i could no longer drive due to my bipolar & mood disorder also i have recently been diagnosed with PD and the tremor on my left side is very debilitating and i get very fatigued he also stated that i was unable to walk any distance because of this. Yet 2 weeks after i was turned down i applied for a blue badge with my local council, they said i would have to go for a assessment with a independent assessor from a firm called TICCS  which my wife who is also my carer took me to the assessment which  lasted about 50 minutes we were told that i would be contacted by post about the decision.
A week later i was awarded a blue badge i rang the DWP and informed them of this and was told i would have to go to an appeal tribunal .could you please tell me if this right .

Many Thanks

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    Being unable to drive wouldn't entitle you to mobility. The first part is the help you need outside because of your non-walking mobility needs. (ie, to stay safe or to be able to follow a journey)

You'd only be able to appeal the DWPs decision based on you were at the time of the assessment and not now.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Normally you would need to request a mandatory reconsideration before appealing to the tribunal, This is usually within a month of the date of your decision letter. I suspect that this has past. You can apply for an MR after the deadline with good reason but MR's don't have a good rate of success. It is worth  making the request and even if turned down I belive there is now the possibility to still appeal to the tribunal.
    If you have no award in payment then you can reapply staight away as there is no waiting time for PIP

You do not say whether you have the care component, which I suspect you do.

If you have an award in payment to make a new a claim you would need to show a significant worstening of your condition or a new significant condition.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello - phill36. As the above posts have advised, there is no automatic link between being eligible for a Blue Badge, and getting the mobility component of PIP. Although they are both connected to your mobility difficulties, they have different criteria. How you proceed now with trying to overturn your PIP mobility decision will depend on the date of the decision and whether or not you have asked for a mandatory reconsideration of the refusal. This is always the first phase, and one that you have to go through before you can request an appeal. Here is a link to the Disability Rights UK factsheet on PIP mandatory reconsiderations and appeals, which may help you decide how to proceed: 
    www.disabilityrightsuk.org/appeals-and-mandatory-reconsideration
    The Scope helpline, 0808 800 3333, may also be able to give you details of any local advice agencies who may be able to support you through this, especially if you are technically 'out of time' to put in your mandatory reconsideration request. If you feel that you do meet the points criteria for getting the mobility component, then definitely take it further - even though success at the MR stage is low, once you get to a tribunal, the success rates are much higher, so don't give up!
    Good luck,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.