DLA PIP when leaving care home. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA PIP when leaving care home.

photographerswife
photographerswife Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My wife has been in a nursing home for the last 16 months due to panic attacks from dementia and Parkinson's and me requiring hospital treatment which I could not claim any disability for. Before she went in she received Full rate for both care and mobility indefinitely. She carried on getting the mobility which went to paying for the Motability car. Just before she returned home she received a letter about transferring from DLA to PIP. I rang DLA to let them know she had moved back home. I was told that has we had received the letter from PIP we need to deal with them. We have received the PIP assessment form and filled it in and returned it. It is 5 weeks since she moved out of the nursing home but has not received any DLA or had a letter for an assessment.

I wondered if she was still entitled to any DLA payment and when the PIP payments will start start. Also will they be back dated to when she came out of the home.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @photographerswife

Welcome to our online community/website

It's great to meet you this mourning.

We have got online beneifit advisors who I will pass on your post for there help if that is ok ???

There is also info on pip on our home page for you to veiw.

Please please let me know if I can help you with this ??

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

I'm very sorry in contacting you again but can you please help me with this post ???

• photographerswife
    Please pass it on to the advisor.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @photographerswife

No probs, already done for you.

Please please let me know if there is anything ekse that I can help you with ???
  • photographerswife
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @photographerswife

I'm a little bit confused as to the timeline of events here... I can't work out from your post whether your wife's DLA ended because the migration to PIP put an end date on it, or whether you think it was something to do with her being in care? - I also am not 100% sure why it's stopped at all. I'm going to work on the assumption that it was the migration onto PIP that has done it, but please do let us know if that is not the case.

Normally, unless the DLA claim itself had an end date on it, when moving from DLA to PIP, there is no gap, and DLA continues until the PIP decision is made, so in your case something seems to have gone amiss - perhaps a delay in making the PIP claim, given it was happening at a time when you were dealing with your wife moving home? If this delay was after the 28 day 'deadline' but you called them and explained why, your wife's DLA should have been re-instated until the PIP decision was made.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I can't quite figure out what has gone on. I would recommend calling DLA again, and asking them to explain exactly why, in their view your wife's DLA has ended - perhaps if you re-post again then we can shed some more light on the situation for you...

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• photographerswife
    The DLA care component stopped because the wife was in a care home funded by the council. When we received the letter saying she was being transferred from DLA to PIP we did the phone interview within a couple of weeks of receiving the letter. We then had to get her verified at the local job centre has she has no photo ID. We have filled in the PIP form and returned that now waiting to find out if she has to go for a face to face interview.
    At the same time she is being transferred from ESA to Universal credit. We are not sure what we should be entitled to on that. She is unable to do anything herself and the advisor at the job centre was surprised we was there. She said they should be doing a home visit due to her condition.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Hi photographerswife,

If the only reason your wife's DLA care component payment was stopped is because she went into a care home then DLA should reinstate the payments as soon as she comes home, as she would then be entitled to have it back. Normally this is what would happen. If DLA are refusing to do this because she's had an invitation to claim PIP then they are wrong. If she'd have been at home all the time her DLA would have continued until 4 weeks after the PIP decision had been made, if she had kept to the deadlines of returning the form and attending any assessment. It shouldn't be any different just because she's been in a LA funded care home. It sounds to me as though DLA are fobbing you off by saying that because she's had the PIP invitation they are washing their hands of it. You need to contact DLA and ask to speak to someone more senior than the telephony agent who answers the call if you get the same answer. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• photographerswife
    Hi.
    Thank you for your help. I think I have it sorted now. Just waiting for the paperwork to be sorted. They had not picked up that they had been informed by social services that the wife had moved out of the care home.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.