PIP Award Success — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Award Success

Options
Barrylad1957
Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
Hello everyone,
Hope you are all as well as you can be.
Well; after leaving my PIP assessment/consultation just over three weeks ago, I came home, and posted a detailed account of the assessment as I experienced it. I felt that my assessor nurse was a decent sort, that I had gotten my point across with regard to my daily living difficulties, but that I probably had not done too well on the 'mobility' front; I thought that my physical limitations were not as obvious as the other problems I now encounter in my day to day life, but that I had, at least, given them enough cause to consider me for the standard rate of daily living, and that was the best possible outcome for me. Today, (just 25 days since the assessment), I woke to discover the Dreaded Brown Envelope, and a second Dreaded Brown Envelope; I opened the first, to find that it was a letter, explaining that the DWP now had all the information they needed to make a decision regarding my claim for PIP, and that they would be in touch by post soon.
The second envelope contained my decision, and I was awestruck to read that the decision maker had granted me Enhanced Daily Living, AND Enhanced Mobility.
Thank you very much to all on here who offered and gave advice, my eternal gratitude to you all. Now, as I type 10 hours later, I still can't believe it. Also, during a cursory check of my bank account this afternoon, I found that they had actually paid my arrears backdated to the start of July, the date on which I applied. (It had said as much in the letter, but I'd missed it in all the shock and celebration). 
This afternoon, I attended my first Work Capability Assessment at the jobcentre, and I will post a full detailed report on that on here tomorrow: I'd do it now, but I'm babysitting, and have grandkids hanging off my head like dreadlocks.
Thank you all, once again; I would have walked into it blindfolded and defenceless without the help and support I found on here, and I hope that others have the same experience, and get the award they need.
Baz.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is great news Baz and thanks for letting us know. So often we hear the bad news but seldom do people come back to share the joy.
    Your experience will no doubt be of great help to other who come seeking some pearls of wisdom with this mad system

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Options
    That is such good news @Barrylad1957,I have been reading your posts in the past with interest.
    @jose2
  • Maggs3pets
    Maggs3pets Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Great news.  Do you have to attend Work Capability Assessment even when awarded PIP?  All the best. ☺
  • ericsteele123
    ericsteele123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    It's good to hear some one got there justified pip without lengthy appeals and undue stress. Hoping I have the same success 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news.  Do you have to attend Work Capability Assessment even when awarded PIP?  All the best. ☺

WCA has nothing to do with PIP. PIP is not a work related benefit and many people that receive PIP work full time.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you, Pippa. I'm still waking up every day feeling both lucky and happy for myself, and sad for the people who are themselves still waiting for assessment, or have not had the correct result from theirs. Its great that this forum exists, I'd given up on them before someone steered me towards scope. I would have walked into both the pip and the WCA blind and with my hands tied if I hadnt found it. Its becoming obvious that the differences between 'descriptors' and 'disabilities/illnesses' are tripping a lot of people up, but I hope that trips and stumbles is all they are, and that everyone else gets everything that theyre entitled to. Here's hoping that they do, and that this system becomes fairer in its dealings with the most vulnerable in our society. x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.