Advice on offering discreet services to disabled men — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on offering discreet services to disabled men

Options
jamey77
jamey77 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I am looking to go into the field of therapeutic sexual services to disabled men or men with anxiety or confidence issues and I wondered if I could receive some views on this based on experiences some of you may have had.
My background is in social services and I have vast experience with many diverse groups in society.
Need advice that is based upon experiences and whether the outcomes were negative or positive for the service user.
Very much appreciated
Jamey

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm sorry but I cannot work out what exactly you are suggesting that you do in this regard. I am also not certain that this is appropriate for this site, however I am sure the moderators will decide on it's appropriateness.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • jamey77
    jamey77 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    OK....I'm not suggesting anything untoward..many persons with disabilities access support for issues relating to all aspects of their lives and I am just requesting information on helpful services in the UK other than the ones I am already aware of.
    I have worked extensively over the years with many client groups and feel that there should be more of an honest open discussion around services that are not openly available and clients that I have worked with have requested.
    I think we need to keep an open mind and be non judgemental to the needs of many who are fearful of opening up about these issues due to some persons belief systems, it is important  that those who have either been born with disability or aquired it through ill health or incident have access to every service an able bodied person would have. I am doing a study on this.
    Fair treatment for all persons should be paramount.
    X
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi @Jamey77,

Welcome to the community. 

As @PSHEexpert says in this other discussion

This is a very complex issue that needs to be considered very carefully; it's not something that is appropriate to just be offered as you suggest, because of the legal, ethical and safeguarding issues that are involved. Private arrangements between consenting adults are one thing, of course, but the sort of provision you're offering would, by necessity, be subject to scrutiny.
    I would suggest that if you are interested in supporting people in their sexual and social lives, you start through supporting an already established, registered organisations, operating under governance and with clear policies and guidelines. These are in place to protect everyone involved and are essential.

Here are some suggestions:
  • ruby2shanty
    ruby2shanty Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Very complex!!

Brightness