Turned down for PIP with crohns — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down for PIP with crohns

ruby12
ruby12 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have Crohn's disease and due to a resection op I have to go to the toilet upto 12 times a day. I have had to reduce my hours at work and applied for pip due to the fatigue I experience. Unfortunately today I was turned down for pip.....any suggestions for when I ask for it to be looked at again? Thanks

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruby12

A very big welcome to you this evening !!!!!!

I very sorry about your pip being turned down today.

We have got lot's off are members in the same boat.

They have either just started or they are half way through.

We have got members who have comed out the other end so you will be able to draw on there experiences.

I have some info below for you I hope that it is ok ???

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33823/pip-tribunal-decision

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances?_ga=2.158821690.1484044234.1508527315-329981180.1498300069
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ruby and welcome

The first thing do do is ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will show you what areas you need to challenge.
    Within one month of your decision letter you should request a Mandatory reconsideration. details of how to do this are in your decision letter.
    You should gather as much relevant evidence as possible and a supporting letter from your GP if you haven't already done so.
    It is important that you understand the points system, the descriptors and the criteria for an award. To get an insight into this , try taking the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruby12
    Welcome to the community, I have ulcerative colitis, I currently have a stoma but I used to have a jpouch and so I totally understand where you are coming from!

You can appeal the decision by asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration, if they still say no, you can go to an appeal tribunal.  It's worth knowing that 60% of cases that go to appeal win.

I wrote a big post about this subject on my blog with tons of information from Scope, Crohns and Colitis UK and the CAB that may be helpful to you.

You can also see these Scope videos about appealing that may be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ruby12
    Thanks very much, very helpful. I've been in touch and have requested a copy of my assessment report and also my consultant had written an excellent covering letter so hopefully this will be enough.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great @ruby12 let us know if we can help with anything else, or if you just want to chat! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ruby12
    I definitely will. Fingers crossed :) 
  • ruby12
    Update.... Sent my mandatory reconsideration letter off today with a covering letter from my consultant..... Hopefully this will be successful. Does anyone know how long it can take for their decision? Thanks
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck @ruby12, I'll have my fingers crossed for you! The timescale can vary massively between cases: it may be between 4-6 weeks, but can often take longer. Keep us updated!
  • ruby12
    Thank you very much. Will do !
  • ruby12
    Just thought I would update..... Still waiting for the copy of the report from my face to face. Good job I cracked on with the mandatory reconsideration without it! Has anyone else had to wait ages for a copy?
  • cvgreen14
    cvgreen14 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi All,

I wondered if any of you had advise for an old pip application that was declined. My partner has had crohns for many years and a few years ago applied but this application was turned down. It was at a time he was extremely ill and even with my offer to help appeal he just didnt feel he had the energy at that point to appeal, he was very disheartened that his application was declined, especially at a time he was so clearly extremely unwell. I wondered if it is too late to appeal this original application or if we need to start again. He had become very unwell again and unable to work, struggling to pay his medication prescriptions and we are searching hard for some solution for him.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated!

Ruby, any update on your appeal?

Thank you

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately to be able to start the appeals process the decision has to be within 13 months. As you said it was a few years ago that he was refused then he wouldn't able to challenge the decision now.

He would be able to start a new application by ringing the PIP helpline line to start the process off, providing he's under the age of 65.

Evidence will be needed to support a claim as they very rarely contact anyone for this. A face 2 face assessment is most likely as most people have them.

I would advise him to get some help with filling out the forms. Please do remember that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    If he's having problems paying for his prescriptions then certainly means tested benefits means you qualify. If you're not claiming any of these and your household income is low then you can fill out the HC1 form for free prescriptions. Information in the link provided. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.