Can the DWP dispute appeal decisions? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can the DWP dispute appeal decisions?

pinkrabbit
pinkrabbit Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am housebound with severe ME and am hoping to make friends online. Most of this year I have been stressed out my DLA was stopped and I was not given any PIP well I appealed to the courts and got the decision overturned in my favour last week I am hoping the payment will go through ok. I have heard the DWP can despite this, is that likely? Also have been trying unsuccessfully to give up smoking, any tips?

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pinkrabbit and welcome to the community.

The DWP can request a statement of reason from the tribunal to consider appealing. This has to be because of a legal reason, ie the tribunal did something wrong in coming to its conclusion, which is very rare.

When the practice nurse asked me if I had managed to give up smoking I said yes and she was delighted.

When?

Oh about thirty times yesterday :disappointed:

Thinking about it I'm probably not the best person to advise you :wink:

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi pinkrabbit

It is worth ringing the DWP to make sure they have received the tribunal ruling as they do have a habit of mislaying them.
    Best way to quit smoking is one day at a time, Give up everyday if you have to but start each day as a nonsmoker

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice to meet you @pinkrabbit, M.E is one of my conditions! Do keep us updated on your situation and let us know if your payments have reached you successfully.

In case you haven't seen it already, the NHS offer this advice on stopping smoking interventions, and there's further advice tailored for disabled people hoping to quit on this webpage.

Does anybody else have any advice on stopping smoking for @pinkrabbit?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @pinkrabbit

Giving up smoking is about wanting to do it enough.  It's about the will to do it.  I gave up smoking over 20 years ago cold turkey because I was getting sore throats, i.e. the cons of smoking outweighed the pros.  Even now, I get the occasional craving for a cig!  But I've never succumbed.

A friend of mine went from cigs to e-cigs and after a while was able to give those up - so he doesn't smoke at all now.
  • pinkrabbit
    pinkrabbit Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for all the advice I think I will phone the DWP and also the ESA as that should also change. As for the smoking I know I have got to be more determined at the moment I have just cut down and use an e cigg but I need to go cold turkey at some point.It is good to hear that so many people have managed to quit.
  • mentes
    mentes Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I agree with  pink rabbit, mind over matter really want believe you want to stop I did j basicly kept thinking of all the negatives of smoking and it's been 3 years not been smoking 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.