left — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

left

nanof6
nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
hi everyone, i said on here i was going to london to see a show, well i phoned for assistance 3 days befor,  my train from carmarthen was fine, i had to change at cardiff for the paddington train, because the train was running late they put me in 1st class as it was nearer from the lift i was comming from,i got on the train ok, then i went to turn to go into the carrage , it was so tight i took the legs off the wheelchair but it was tight.  of corse i couldnt have the free tea coffee  i wouldnt of been able to get to the toilet, anyway twice on that train i was ashawed they would phone through to let them no i was comming, we got into paddington nobody came , i managed to get through the tight door and was faceing the platform, my legs to the wchair and my holdal  was still on the floor in the carrage. after some time the cleaners got on, they didnt speak english they thought i just got on the train,  i was in a state,  eventualy they helped me off they got a ramp from somewhere, i had a black taxi waiting i had to pay extra £30 for that, went to covent garden next day all cobbles,   so painfull, all the while so worried about the jurney back, saw the show mamamea    next day got to the platform no one there,  when i phoned 3 days before i left they told me  dont worry  we will make sure your trip will be fine, he said try and get to the station a quater of hour eatly wich i did,anyway no one was about my train was going to leave soon, eventurly someone sent me to an office , i went in explained i was booked on the quater to 11 train, but no one is on the platform, well this man started shouting at me saying you havnt been in here  ,    i said no i booked on the phone and was told to be on the platform early, well he kept shouting at me, and said get to platform 1 fast as you can, he drove a truck with ramps in, i got on, i had to change at swansea, they were there with the ramps, the train i needed for carmarthen was just opersite, 1 carrage, i said it looks packed they were all getting on spewing out the door,i said its ok i will get the next train, he said no you can get on this one, he shouted for everyone in the doorway to go to the other door,he made everyone move there bags cases i said to him they are not going to be very happy, and when i got off my stop the people who got off started having a right go at me, what a 3 day away i had.what a wase of money , i didnt enjoy the show so worried about the trip home. oh well

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @nanof6

Sorry to hear all this.  In general, facilities for disabled people really are appalling.  Lack of disability awareness, not only on the part of the general public, but by people who ought to know better - those who are supposed to provide a service for the public including disabled people.  There really seems to be very little training.

Why not write to your MP?

It was very brave of you to travel to London on your own.  Was there no-one who could have travelled with you?

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    no i had to give it a go,ive sent a complaint to the train customer service when i got back.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds like an awful experience @nanof6, I'm so sorry. I've had plenty of negative experiences with train assistance myself and know how much anxiety it can cause, so I really do feel for you that it happened on your weekend away. 

Do keep us updated with your complaint to customer services and let us know how you get on.
  • binriding
    binriding Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I recently travelled to Berwick from Peterborough and back for a short break, I used Virgin trains and emailed ahead for assistance with my wheelchair, I got very good service and was very impressed. Would happily travel with them again.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    This sort of support (or lack of it) is why I cannot use public transport and drive everywhere I go. It limits me in terms o travel time but at least I am not dependant on other people all the time.

It's a shame your trip was spoilt by such treatment.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness