Feels like they are all against me — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feels like they are all against me

Options
StuMuzz
StuMuzz Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I have been awarded support group ESA a few months. I was not happy with the medical assessment report as 'extras' have been added and alot of details have been left out. I did not complain as was struggling financially and was just grateful I got anything.

I have been awarded standard rate for both parts of PIP. Same again, ;extras' added and a bloomin lot has been left out about how I coped during the assessment. I went to CAB with along list lol. They adviced to just concentrate on the planning a journey as I had been given 0 points (i was happy with standard for the first part) and if that failed to come back and we would tackle all the things i was not happy with in the report.
Reconsideration letter was turned down flat. I  now only have 5 days left to contact the tribunal services, Just had a holiday and was really struggling with pain and ..er.. life.
I went back to  CAB yesterday and was told you have left it a bit late and was only suggested to go to tribunal about getting around ie: satnav and that I have a doctors appoint in a fortnight to discuss a referral to be assessed for learning difficulties. No offer to help write the letter, no offer to help ask for an extension, no offer to help complain about the whole medical assessment. I hate knocking CAB as I know they give up their own time for free.
I've had to fight my own GP surgery for referrals for MRI scan, which have confirmed major problems at L4-L5, L5-S1. Previously had back surgery for a burgling disc 10 years, also had keyhole surgery on both knees...Twice. I've had to fight for paid medication every step of the way. Until I happened to see a different doctor who looked quite shocked that I was virtually begging for help with pain and lack of sleep.
After hours of reading online and then on here last night I have decided: Not to go to tribunal but instead go back to CAB and have a little complaint and hope they will help by putting my complaint on record with DWP about the medical assessment i had.

Just getting sick of all the hassle.
Stuart.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Stuart

So sorry you are having such a hard time
    Starting the appeal process is very simple, all you need is SSCS1  and basic reasons why you want to appeal. You can download the form , so you do still have time to make an appeal. If you do decide to do so come back and we will help as best we can

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Hi CockneyRebel,
    I won't bother taking it to tribunal after reading all the horror stories and the long waiting without any money, not to mention the stress.
    Bad enough having to almost beg for all my meds being reviewed/ increased/changed. I was told last year a referral had been sent to investigate my upper spine and neck. Found out they have only just done it last month. Think they got sick of me keep asking "why hadn't I heard anything yet".
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    I can understand but tribunal really isn't that bad, all they want is the truth and are used to the DWP dirty tricks.
    How long is your award for ?

CR
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Strange, twice now this website has refreshed itself and i lost all i'd type..told you everything/ one is against me lol
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    We are not against you Stuart, we will help and support you in anyway we can

CR
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @StuMuzz

It's worth appealing to tribunal, despite the hassle, as long as you are confident that your current award is safe.  You will continue to receive your standard rate PIP in the meanwhile.

I had an oral tribunal hearing and my PIP was increased from standard both components to enhanced both components.  65% of tribunal appeals succeed.
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    From what i've been reading it can be a nightmare. I rent privately so can't afford to miss any payments. Chasing my local council for housing as they seemed to have forgotten i'd filled their forms out. to be fair they did bail me out with their discretionary funding. Not sure they would do it again if I went down the tribunal route especially if it took up to 12 months like some poor souls have been put through.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    We generally only hear of the cases that go wromg on the forums as successful claimants don't need advice and support

CR
  • Matilda
    Options
    @StuMuzz

Would appealing PIP in itself affect your housing benefit?  I suggest you ask about this in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    @Matilda, HI,
    From what I've read and i may be wrong. pip is suspending while tribunal is in progress. esa and housing benefit would not cover my monthly rent and bills.
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Should of mentioned i rent a 2 bed property. housing benefit is only paid up to one room.
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Planning a route......
    I need a satnav or I cannot find anywhere and get very stressed. Even when I was working at various properties in my local town I would need it on many visit until I could safely find it. then if I went back months later I could not find it. This was what was used with the help of cab when appealing. when it was turned down and I went back to cab they went on about satnav and to use that in a tribual...they should bloody know it not deemed an aid.
  • Matilda
    Options
    @StuMuzz

If you already have a PIP award, that continues while you appeal.

After Atos assessment, DWP awarded me PIP standard both components.  These standard payments continued up until appeal - when I was awarded enhanced both components.
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    @CockneyRebel
    Both esa and pip are awarded until late 2021
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    PIP will be reveiwed a year early so 2020
    It really is worth while appealing, the judge should warn you if your current award is in danger giving you the chance to withdraw.
    It is really up to you

CR
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Before i can plan a route i have to use:
    1, steering knob attached to my steering wheel.
    2, mobility wedge cushion.
    3.reverse camera connected to a view screen mirror
    4. satnav.
    now none is deemed an aid. without out any of the above i can not get from a to b.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think you will get anywhere with the planning a journey descriptor if this is what you are relying on. I know it seems unfair when you genuinely need these things.

CR

• StuMuzz
    Options
    My local CAB think I should go to tribunal about having to use a satnav and with me possible having some sort of learning difficulties when I don't even have a diagnosis. I think they need to update their files.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @StuMuzz This may help to put this in perspective of what is happening at assessment level. I am 66 never go out alone, I have a long standing 40 odd year history of mental health problems and don't drive. I scored 0 points for mobility planning a journey. The reason given was because I had mentioned going to an over 60's club. This involves a private, aided coach picking me up less than 50 metres from my home. The coach is full of people I know and the journey is 3 mins to our village hall. i remain with lots of people i know and return the same way. This was all explained in detail to the assessor and in my MR letter which made no changes to the 0 points. I was fortunate to get a 2nd MR done which i think anyone can do if they ask for their claim to be looked at again. I was then given 4 points for needed prompting to go on a journey alone based entirely on my mental health history. Cases vary of course but I got the impression that if you step out of your front door alone and travel any distance, even a short stroll to the local shops, you will be deemed able to plan and go on a journey at least 50% of the year. It's not even how often you go out but whether you could do this if you so wished. The criteria is to have an actual mental illness or incapacity that is severe enough to cause you to need someone to plan the journey for you, or a sensory impairment so you wouldn't hear or see or recognize danger. If anyone disagrees with this description please feel free to argue. 
                 Lastly on the plus side you have scored enough for standard rate in the mobility category for ability to walk so you wouldn't need 10 points for the journey part. But having just checked out the descriptors in this activity with less points none of them mention the "planning" they all focus on not being able to go out anywhere and you do go out. I will mention here that the word "Unfamiliar" was totally  ignored in my case. 
                 @Matilda can I ask which descriptor you were awarded for the journey part of mobility and the criteria used as this may help @StuMuzz decide whether to try and challenge his mobility award?
  • StuMuzz
    Options
    Dam it refresh...let';s start again.
    @wildlife and others that replied, thank you.
    I think for now I shall leave it as it is, until I have seen my doctor to discuss a referral to find what type of learning difficulties I may have.
    The only test I've had was back in early or mid 2000, think it was 2005 or 06. I was sent to  a works physiologist by the job centre. It is all a bit vague, all i remember is I pick up new things quickly but I don't retain new information.
    I struggle with reading and writing and have a **** memory. I forget i've written myself notes and the safe place(s) i store things so I can easily find, sometimes have had to buy new parts for jobs because I can/t find them on the day of the job. get days/ date mixed up. I say left when I mean right.
    Stuart.

Brightness