Pip walking 20m — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip walking 20m

mssissippi1952
mssissippi1952 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
hi,could somebody explain the 20m walking rule please.does it mean you can’t walk 20m at all or can you walk beyond 20m after a rest very confusing thank you

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Stand and walk more than 1 m but no more than 20 m aided or unaided

Then the reliabiliy factors come in
    You have to do it safely ie. with  out falling
    In a reasonable time ie twice as long as an able bodied person
    Repeatedly, if after a rest ( as determined by the assessor ) you can repeat the distance. How long would you need to rest before you could repeat the distance ?

Normal walking       61 - 90 m/min
    slow walking           40 - 60 m/min
    very slow walking   less than 40m/min

I hope that helps

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    edited December 2017
    Admit NOTHING!
    If you have a stick or crutches USE THEM!
    20m dead, anymore and your on your skinny *rse!
    Do NOT gallop through those 20m.
    Imagine your shoes full of glass and your feet all blisters aff that half marathon.

Im not saying 'milk it'....but milk it!
  • mssissippi1952
    Thanks cockney rebel and clydebbuilt,should be going to the tribunal in the next 2weeks or so,been reading lately there asking how long you can walk for and not how far
  • CockneyRebel
    They seem to be asking this a lot. 2 minutes doesn't seem a lot but try walking for 2 minutes and see how you get on

CR
  • mssissippi1952
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @mssissippi1952

It's not able to walk more than 20 metres aided before needing to stop and rest for a minute or so because of pain, stiffness or fatigue to get 12 points (enhanced rate).  You can then repeat this pattern.  I don't think DWP rules limit the number of times the pattern can be repeated.

20-50 metres aided = 10 points (standard)

20-50 metres - unaided = 8 points (standard)

At my tribunal hearing I was asked by the doctor for how long can I walk.  So in reply I asked him if he meant how long would it take me to walk 20 metres.  He just repeated again and again for how long and I kept repeating did he mean how long to walk 20 metres?   

I think we are on dangerous ground if we give a walking time that is not in relation to distance as well.  For example, someone might know that it takes them five minutes to walk 20 metres.  But if they just say five minutes without the distance, the questioner might assume that they can walk much further than 20 metres in five minutes.

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.  The distance different people can cover in five minutes can vary enormously.  With PIP, time and distance must be taken together.

So if you are asked for how long, I suggest you ask back what distance do you want to know how long it takes me to walk.
  • mssissippi1952
    Thank you Matilda great advice 
  • mssissippi1952
    Hi,I’ve been told by the tribunal court I’ve been waiting 28 weeks for my hearing and that evidence I’ve sent in from my doctor etc has been sent to the DWP for them to look at.they have had it for a while now,I’ve still not heared anything from them.my question is do you think I should phone the DWP asking about the evidence or just wait,I phoned them a few months ago they told me it’s nothing to do with them it’s now up to the court,but the court told me the DWP review the evidence 

• Matilda
    @mssissippi1952

Tribunal dates are down to the courts, not the DWP.  There are long delays in most areas because of the expanding number of appeals.  Phone the tribunal clerk and and ask if they can give you an idea of how much longer you are likely to have to wait.
  • mssissippi1952
    thanks matilda,i know its the court now, but they said they had sent evidence to DWP to look at.will the DWP tell me about looking at my evidence
  • Matilda
    @mssissippi1952

The tribunal service automatically send the DWP copies of any evidence you send to them.

I think you would need to ask in Ask a benefits advisor category what the DWP are likely to do with the evidence concerned.
  • CockneyRebel
    The DWP might review your evidence and make you an offer prior to your hearing, but it doesn't happen often and you do not have to accept. At this time you should only contact the tribunal not the DWP

CR
  • mssissippi1952
    thats great thanks.CR and MATILDA

Brightness