Hi, my name is Lesley — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lesley

leelaw
leelaw Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Having worked solidly for 41 years (20 - 30 with constant back pain) I find myself out of work and unable to work any more.  I was awarded PIP at the start of the year after requesting a mandatory reconsideration because initially the closed my case as i didn't attend my assessment  (erm it was at my house and i sat waiting 20 minutes before phining to see where the assessor was and when i ohoned again to say all that my case was clised because they didn't accept my excuse for nit attending my assessment)!! This is my first venture into benefits so it's a bit of a shock. 
I am now struggling with an esa application.  First off my "questionnaire" disappeared between the post box and the dwp! I am receiving an interim amount if 18 quid a week  but since sending the second form in (paying 6.48 to ensure it got there this time) i have heard nothing else...no heakth assessment...no decision. I had a palaver over second fit note getting there despite me phoning them they sent a letter threatening if i didn't send it in they might request i have a health assessment  - which woukd bd grwat actually.  I can't understand the nonsensical system where i should just qualify for ESA on account of my mobility score for PIP!
I saw this group on Facebook and i thought it mught be good to join and see what orher people have to say and hopefully feel a little less alone  

Comments

• leelaw
    Please forgive the typos x
  • suzyjbesidethesea
    suzyjbesidethesea Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi Lesley and welcome to scope it’s a great place to meet new people and get advice when needed I’ve only been a member a short while but I’ve found it to be a great help. 
    I lost my pip due to some so called nasty friends who lied about me and my health/disability it’s up for appeals now I’ve just got to wait so I’m living on my esa although like yourself they messed me about with interviews so it took months to get it sorted, I do hope you get it sorted soon, feel free to message me anytime. X
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi leelaw and welcome

so sorry you find yourself caught up in this system
    ESA is in backlog in many areas and it could be months before you get an assessment and then months before a decision, so not good news

We always advise that you request the assessment reports for both PIP and ESA
    You should still be able to get the one from your PIP. It will show you more about how the decisions are made.

Always keep copies of any correspondence and always check that they have received it after a couple of days

There is plenty of info on here about both benefits, have a read and come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • leelaw
    Thank you both of you for your help and advice

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.