Is My Private Tutor Using Me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is My Private Tutor Using Me?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @DannyMoore do you know which examination board you have been studying for? IE Edexcel or AQA, there are others but these are the main two. You should be able to call them and find out where your local testing centre is.

I am a little confused why your tutor would find it so difficult to locate your local centre. The exam dates will be fixed, and you will need to meet any requirements, but again these may depend on the examination board.

Hope this helps.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Geoark
    Options
    Hi @DannyMoore I have just re-read your opening post. If the answer you get from your tutor is no satisfactory I would recommend going back to the admission team who recommended this tutor and raise your concerns with them.

Something else which has been niggling in the back of my mind, but haven't been able to find to confirm online is the level of studying you are doing.

Level 1 and Level 2 courses normally equate to the foundation and GCSE level courses. For most adults this should be achievable within 1 year.

Level 3 and Level 4 are equivelant to A level studies - 4 AS is equivelant to the first year and 4 to a full A level qualification.

Level 5 and 6 are equivelant to a degree without honours or degree with honours.

If the core levels correspond with this jumping from level 2 to level 5 or 6 is a significant leap, especially in a subject like maths. I would definately discuss with your tutor what core 1 and core 2 are equivelant to in terms of traditional exams like GCSE, A levels, HNC, HND and A levels. 

It is also possible the University is looking to put you into a foundation degree course, which should bring you maths knowledge and skills to a level where you can cope with a full degree course from a level 2 qualification. This would be a year long course, and with the extra time and tuition should be doable. Many courses are three years to allow the first year to bring students up to the standards which would be expected on the degree course anyway. So this may not be as big a concern as I think.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Geoark
    Options
    @DannyMoore, that is awesome.

I hope you are able to get things sorted out and it goes well for you.

• JaneC
    JaneC Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    You have some good advice here @DannyMoore. You do not need to wait for your tutor to enter you for an exam  Your dad can contact Edexcel and register you as a private candidate for the next exam with them. All private candidates are given information about which centres or schools will host them in order for them to take the exam. Your tutor could have found this information for you as you need to be registered with the exam board in order to take the exam. Good luck.

• Geoark
    Options
    Hello @JaneC and welcome to the community.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Brightness