At last! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

At last!

Options
ClydeBuilt
ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
With the usual sense of forboding I feel with these things, I attended the dreaded Appeals Tribunal this afternoon.

I have now been awarded the mobility component at the higher level. Subject to a standard appeals procedure from ATOS or who evers giving us a smack these days.
From what I can gather, thats unlikely as any objection has to be on a point of law, which if tribunal admin have done their job, is unlikely.

The three persons on the tribunal were professionals and properly qualified to make decisions on health. They were friendly and approachable and I got the idea that they were well up to speed with what passes for health examninations from ATOS - SOLUS et al.
Im also of the opinion that they could tell a pear between four apples and given some of those in the waiting area, they had to be!

Of Value: Do not go off on a rant, or introduce several new ailments, it will be to no avail.
Stick to how you were, when you were tested. When asked, answer their questions clearly and in as much detail as you are able.

Now I have to wait as I would expect, but at least its looking much better than a few weeks ago

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear your Tribunal went better than expected @ClydeBuilt, fingers crossed! :)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad things are looking up for you. Give it a week or so and ring DWP to make sure they have received the tribunal decision as these have been known to get mislaid.
    Also be aware that the DWP are requesting a SOR in many more claims now which can hold things up.
    Usually the DWP will put a claim into payment 5-8 weeks after a tribunal decision

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    No idea what a SOR is fella?
    I did hear that any objections must be on a point of law, not just an objection to the verdict? Then again I also heard that you are automatically time barred for a year for no reason and no appeal on that?
    As I said, we have a motability car at the moment, but thats on an extension since September. The £2000  'offer' is used to pay for the car for six months. We went that route because the car is more important to my mental state as well as physical, I can well see me giving up driving at some point. Hopefully my wife and son can take up some slack when that comes.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry, I get used to all thes terms
    SOR is a statement of reason. This is what they would need to find an error of law, which is unlikely.
    Not sure about a time bar.  As you will have an award in payment following a tribunal there are three things that can happen

1) if you disagree with the award you have the right to appeal to the Upper Tier Tribunal ( UTT ) on an error of law
    2) If your condition worstens you can apply for a change of circumstance which would spark a new assessment
    3) You can accept the award you have and start to prepare for you next review which will happen a year before your award end date. The review will produce a new decision which will supercede the old one from the tribunal

I hope that helps

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Candyfloss
    Candyfloss Community member Posts: 34 Listener
    Options
    This is for Clyde built.What an incredibly funny and erudite man .you are.now I've stopped laughing I'm so happy for you that u had a positive Appeal .Thanks for brightening up my day!!!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.