Another inaccessible hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another inaccessible hospital

Options
Markmywords
Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
Yesterday I took the day off to go to a routine hospital check-up. When I got there I found all the inner car parks full. The rest were further away than I can walk.

I drove around a couple of times but without anywhere to wait I couldn't stop. So I had no choice but to turn around and go home.

This is the second hospital I've had occasion to abandon due to inaccessibility. It would have cost me a lot to take a taxi. Buses are not practical for me.

What is it going to take for them to listen? Do they need to be sued before they make it as easy to get treatment for disabled patients as non-disabled ?

Why can't they even run a shuttle from the outer car parks when busy?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Markmywords

Welcome to our online community.

I'm very very sorry to hear about your many problems.

Yes car parking is a real problem alround to be honest.

You may find that the car parks aren't the problem off the NHS as they are owned/run by external company's.

They are like the bedside tv's !!!!!!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help/support ??? 
  • Markmywords
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm not new @steve51  ;-)

Legal obligations of equal access cannot be avoided by using a contractor.

If going to court is what it will take to make them listen then so be it.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh dear @Markmywords, sorry that you had to miss your appointment. Have you managed to rearrange? 

If you haven't seen this already, there was some interesting discussion about car parking provision in this recent thread on Blue Badge charges. Unfortunately it seems as though many others have encountered similar issues too. Luckily I usually manage to get a lift when I have an appointment, but I've never not seen a hospital car park absolutely packed!

• Markmywords
    Options
    Sadly no, the department don't pick up the phone and hospital enquiries hasn't replied to an email.
    I will try an actual old-school letter to the consultant. That's progress huh?

I don't have anyone I can ask for help. Tens of pounds to get their by taxi seems a bit unfair to me too. There were remote spaces but I could not have got from them to the hospital.

My other hospital said "we don't get involved with parking matters. The contractor does it all."
    Could a shop avoid putting a ramp in because they had an "entrance contractor?"
  • jamesthomm
    jamesthomm Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I thought i was the only one to have this problem.i to gave up driving around car parks i then told my GP why i missed my out patient hospital appiontment..i have been forced to pay 7 pounds to the appointment in a taxi.and the same back..thats not easy on a limited pension. All you can hope for is request a mid morning or late pm appointment
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you considered applying for an HC2 certificate ?
    If you qualify you might be able to claim for taxi fares.

Is there hospital transport that you could use ?
    Some hospitals have volunteer drivers that are much cheaper than taxis

I know this doesn't address the parking problem but might help in your situation

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Markmywords
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions @CockneyRebel .

Fortunately I don't have to go very frequently unless I'm having one of the regular crises. I can't do buses very well due to a drug damaged skeleton..

I'm also currently getting over Shingles as my anti-rejection drugs had to be bumped up so bringing it on.

I'm not asking for a freebie or a space by the door but is a 300m lift to the door asking too much?
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    If you are entitled to help via HC2, many will only pay public transport costs. And if you've got a bus pass, you'll get nothing back.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Markmywords

Having their carpark managed by a contractor doesn’t let the hospital trust off the hook

“NHS organisations are responsible for the actions of private contractors who run car parks on their behalf” – from Dept of Health Guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

If the inadequate facilitates at the hospital are resulting in disabled people being unable to access services consider making a formal complaint via the hospital trust’s own complaint procedure, mentioning the Equality Act 2010. EASS have some template letters in the resources section of their website that you might wish to adapt: http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com

Sometimes local change can be achieved when local people work together to highlight an issue. There is information about building a campaign on the Scope website:   https://www.scope.org.uk/Get-Involved/Campaigns/Your-Campaign

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Markmywords
    Options
    That's very helpful thank you @Jean_Scope.

I complained to the first hospital and they said "it would be passed on to the management." I can't say I was surprised at the lack of response.

I agree with you that a hospital should be reminded of their legal responsibilities and liabilities. I'll bring it up with hospital two.
  • Markmywords
    Options
    Well apparently, the result of pointing out this hospital's shortcomings to them is that they will no longer treat me.

I got a call from their complaints department even though I hadn't asked to make a complaint.

I've phoned, emailed and written to the hospital and department but they haven't responded or given me another appointment.

There has been silence for several weeks and I haven't been told they've discharged me.

The public sector really can't cope with criticism. :(
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's terrible to hear, @Markmywords. Could you maybe try asking your GP to be re-referred? 
  • Markmywords
    Options
    It was the dentist who referred me PippaScope, but yes that is what I'll have to try. Hopefully it could be to a different hospital.

• Dominique
    Dominique Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options

I visited someone in hospital recently and used their public toilet facilities but these were so badly fitted that it was a struggle. Pub and commerce disabled toilets are much better.

Dominique

• Jean_OT
    Options

Hi @Dominique

That sort of feedback is potentially really valuable to organisations to help them up their game. I appreciate that formally complaining can be a pain but most departments will have a comments box. If possible try to say would improve the situation, positive suggestions tend to be better received than 100% criticism.

Best Wishes

Jean 

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My main hospital is the RUH a Bath and like many hospitals you can buy a  weekly season ticket for parking and if you work in Bath people could or do use the car parks then get a bus from the hospial into town to work thus avoiding higher daily  parking charges returning on the bus using another season ticket t drive home. The car park has been enlarged but still no spaces come lunch time for disabled or any body else visitors or those attending for PM appointments till a space is vacated. 
  • Jean_OT
    Options

Hi @wilko

How irritating that must be if you are trying to get parked in time for an appointment.

No doubt the hospital are already aware of the issue, but it might be worth making a complaint 

http://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/advice_and_support/patient_experience/complaints.asp

Sometimes if an organisation receives a big enough volume of complaints they decide to act.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

Brightness