Looking for advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for advice

Rosina
Rosina Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi I have concerns about my brothers well being as he is due to be discharged from hospital following a massive stroke which has left him unable to talk and parylised down his left side. He lives alone in an upstairs flat which is very small , an occupational therapist assessed the flat and said he would be fine to stay there alone and they would put in a key box outside and an alarm that he could press and somone would call and see if he was ok, they can't put any hand rails in as there is limited space to put them and as the bathroom was too small and he couldn't get in the bath he would get bed baths , my concern is he can't speak and would be unable to ask for help as he would only have personal care twice a day, he would be alone overnight and his toilet is at the top of the stairs I am concerned that he would fall down them , also if there was a fire he wouldn't get out as the flat below him has been empty for over a year and the owner lives abroad so there has been no gas service or safety checks done to property since it has been empty. We have applied to the council for suitable accommodation for him as the flat is rented accommodation from a private landlord, I am worried sick about him going back there as he is vulnerable and I feel as if he is just been put back into unsuitable accommodation and left to his own devices. I have arranged for a fire safety check of his with the local fire brigade , but I would be grateful if anybody could give me some advice thanks .

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    edited November 2017

Hi @Rosina

I was interested to read your post. I know from personal experience that when a loved one has a stroke it can be a very frightening and worrying time.

So, if I have understood the situation correctly the plan is for your brother to be discharged back into his own rented flat, initially with carers attending twice a day and an alarm call system in place for emergencies.

It might be worth talking to the OT to see if there will also be some therapeutic interventions put in place with the aim of supporting your brother to regain more function.

His housing situation doesn’t sound ideal but sometimes in these situations the therapeutic priority is to return people to familiar surroundings to continue their rehabilitation. Assessment of his needs shouldn’t be a one-off, there should be additional assessments by the community OT once he is back at home. If it becomes clear that he can’t safely live in his current accommodation then the community OT report evidencing this can be submitted to the local authority housing department to try to increase his priority on the housing waiting list.

I read that you are also concerned about fire safety, I suggest that you arrange for the local fire safety officer to visit, they can offer advice. Also, if they feel the flat is unsafe they could potentially provide additional written evidence for the housing department.

If you haven’t already done so you may wish to make contact with the Stroke Association:  https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support

Wishing you and your brother all the very best.  

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosina

A very big welcome to you this afternoon.

I had my Stroke in 1998 at the age off 32.

I'm very very happy in helping/supporting you in anyway ????

Please Please let me know if I can help in anyway ???

Many thank.

• Rosina
    Thanks Steve my brother is 51 and only took a massive stroke 10 weeks ago , he is due to be discharged from hospital in the next week or 2 but I feel he is just been pushed back into accommodation that isn't suitable for his needs as he lives in an upstairs flat and no way of communicating, he will have to be given bed baths as his bathroom isn't suitable, all they are putting in place for him is a key entry box and an alarm buzzer , which is of no use to him, I feel as tho the care package they are putting in place is of no use to him, and I don't know anything about his rights as a vulnerable adult to help him receive the proper care package for his needs .
  • Rosina
    Thanks Jean yes it is the same care package you are talking about being put in place.and a speech therapist and occupational therapist will visit him at home. We have contacted the local council to see if they can find him suitable accommodation and I have arranged a fire safety check from the local fire brigade. I just feel that he is only a number and getting the bed back is more important than his needs .
  • Jean_OT

Hi @Rosina

It sounds as it you are doing all the right things despite it being a very difficult time. And of course it is true that there is a lot of pressure on hospital staff to find beds for patients with acute needs, but safe discharge planning should still be taking place. If you don't feel the discharge is safe you can raise your concerns with staff and if necessary through the complaints procedure. Do check out if the Stroke Association can offer any support in some areas they have excellent services.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Rosina
    Thanks for your advice Jean I raised my concerns with the OT and they are going to bring him to his flat during the week and assess him there so hopefully they will have a better view with my concerns.
  • Jean_OT

Hi @Rosina

That certainly sounds like a positive development. Hope things start to improve now 

Best Wishes 

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

Brightness