Children with Special Needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children with Special Needs

schapman
schapman Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hello,

My name is Sherrie Chapman I have a 2 year old son with special needs who is in the process of being diagnosed. He is non-verbal and has hearing difficulties, he is under audiology, speech and language and paediatrics but Social Services have still removed him from me despite him never leaving my care since birth.

I am extremely worried about my son’s health, he is non-verbal and has hearing difficulties, he is under audiology, speech and language and paediatrics. I have started a petition to help raise awareness and bring my son back home which is gathering good interest, I have included the link for you in this email in the hope that you can get more familiar with the story and perhaps help me with what other steps I can take.

At our last contact meeting, he was more ill than I had ever seen him (possibly a chest or throat infection). I also have major concerns that he is not eating as whenever I visit at the contact centre he is picking up crumbs of food from the carpet and eating vigorously as if he had gone hungry. He is also completely distraught and crying before contact sessions start and only calms down when he sees me. He then breaks down hysterically upon contact ending and has to be taken away from me 

If you could please get back to me at your earliest with some advice or any help you can offer I would highly appreciate it. Below is the link for a petition and our story which is gathering good interest. 

https://www.change.org/p/community-bring-levi-chapman-home?recruiter=92899796&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Many thanks,
Sherrie

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @schapman

A very very big welcome to you this mourning !!!!

I have put a link below to our Parent & carers forum.

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/carers-of-disabled-children-and-adults?_ga=2.222555675.106763473.1509439736-329981180.1498300069

I do hope that this is helpfull for you ???

Please please let me know if I can offer you some more info & advice ???

Thanks.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Nice to meet you @schapman, and welcome to the community! I've moved your post to the parents and carers category.
  • schapman
    Hello everyone. I will check out your links now :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • schapman
    Hi there 

I cannot say to much for legal purposes but we are in the process of assessments however he's been taken temporarily into the system while the assessments are ongoing. It's breaking my heart I won't be allowed to see him over Xmas. 
  • mamshell12
    mamshell12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi my son in care after putting me in hospital, I have spent his whole life but not got anywhere he has been in care for 4 years and me and my other children miss him very much he also asks to come home every time I c him at first social tried blaming us but when they had no proof they left us alone but he is still in care but no one has a clue why he does what he does he feels like he will be in jail at 18 and he only 11 now. I hope u have ur son home soon hun x
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @schapman and @mamshell12

New to the community myself, I've only just found your posts this Christmas Eve and my heart grieves for you.
    It seems to me that, perhaps as a result of certain high profile cases, social services now frequently over-react out of a fear of making mistakes that they may be blamed for. Increasingly underfunded and under increasing pressure, they must be even more afraid of making those mistakes and seem to be increasingly defensive about what they do.
    I hope you both find what you need, and soon. All I can offer myself is to listen.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
  • schapman

Hi Richard ,

Nice to meet you . I saw my son last week in contact and he was happy and enthusiastic to give me what he made for mummy at nursery. He has been having injuries in foster care which I have reported . He has bruises on his legs, scar on his head I have only just found out the truth regarding that incident . He injured his head on the car boot. I have reported his injuries and the social worker through the correct channels. I just want him home in January. They are clearly not looking after him properly and he is finding nursery challenging.

Thanks Richard.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2018 to you and your family.

Sherrie .

• schapman

My son has a Portage worker. He is saying more words but often says a word that does not match what he is holding . For example " Car " but he will be holding a plate. He is saying more words since starting nursery but finding it overwhelming being separated from me and seeing his absent violent father that wanted him in foster care. He owes arrears through child maintenance.

Now I am not claiming income support. I have court assessments to do and job hunting . I have no idea where to start. Do you think the Job Centre will be understanding that I need to make myself available for assessments and health checks?

Would I be better claiming ESA? I have depression , Bipolar type 11 and hyperthyroidism but need to go to assessments to see if I do actually have Bipolar . These assessments are so important and hinder on me getting my son back.

It's a temporary move into foster care and they could return him at any time. I am worried they will give him back to me then take him again. The proceedings started in July and Social Services took me to court weekly until late October they called an emergency removal hearing based on the fact welfare checks weren't completed.

I am doing courses , looking for work , medicals but not sure what benefit to apply for as I've come off income support. I still have PR and in the care plan for my son to return eventually. It's either my home or dads.

Any advice?

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    First try putting your details into the online benefits calculator

Next take the B&W self test for PIP

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is lots of good info on this site so have a look around and come back with your questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness