Hi, my name is Alanh! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Alanh!

Alanh
Alanh Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited November 2017 in Start here and say hello!
Hello, just joined and wanted to say hello. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alanh, nice to meet you! Do you want to tell us some more about yourself?
  • Alanh
    I am 48 yrs old and suffer on a daily basis with pain and take lots of pain killers to even try and function. I have been working full time but since a car accident this has made all my symptoms far worse and started additional pain to joints and muscles. I have been off work now for over 2 months and my pay has now dropped to half pay. I have been considering applying for PIP as struggling to do my job. What do you think?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Alanh and welcome

There is nothing to lose by making an application.
    It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good starting place is the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is also lots of info on here about claiming

Please have a look around and come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Alanh
    Due to pain I am struggling to be able to sit or at computer for long periods to look or especially apply. Is there a service from a charity of job centre plus or something that would be able to help?
  • Alanh
    My partner and I have completed the self checker and it has come out both at the enhanced rate, due to the amount of support needed. Alan
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to do the test being really hard on yourself as that is how they will be.

You may be able to get help from CAB or similar but they are very busy.

The first stage is to make a phone application

https://www.gov.uk/pip

DWP, do also have a form filling service but how unbiased it is I cannot say

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for telling us more about yourself @Alanh!

It's great that you've been thinking about PIP and that you've already taken the self test. CR has provided some good advice above: it may be worth contacting Citizens Advice in case they can offer any practical assistance with your application, if you decide to proceed.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain: you might also be interested in taking a look at our dealing with chronic pain discussions.

Brightness