Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

alibali
alibali Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Can any1 help with some advice. I have appealed my pip decision as the accesor sd I didn't show any signs of anxiety or nerves at my face to face consultation. I take medication daily for anxiety and depression. I don't go to places unfamiliar on my own as I have chronic asthma overlap copd. I went to my doctor yesterday to ask for a letter to help prove about my anxiety n all she has done is referred me bk to psychological therapies team  and not given me any evidence to help with my appeal 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi alibali and welcome

So sorry that you are in this position, many GP's are so overworked that they either don't give out letters or don't understand the Criteria for PIP awards.
    It is possible to receive an award without any medical evidence but it is easier with some.

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    Are you at MR or tribunal stage ?

It is important to understand the points system, the descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good starting place is the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is also a lot of info on here and on the CAB site

Please come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • alibali
    Hi I'm at appeal stage and it was cab who advised me to get letter. The point I'm disputing is that I can plan and follow a journey. I rely on my daughter and father to take me to hosp appointments or anywhere out with my local town because I panic in case I get lost this then affects my breathing n I end up in a proper state with struggling for breath n feeling like my heart is goin to burst which isn't nice. 
  • CockneyRebel
    It is good that you have the help of the CAB

I know well the feelings of struggling for breath which then can bring on severe panic attacks, so I really feel for you.

It is unfortunate that many medical proffesionals and therapists don't understand the criteria for PIP awards, it isn't what they are trained to do and really shouldn't be put in the position.

It may help if you can take a copy of the descriptors with you to your GP and Psych team to explain to them what specifically is required to support you.

Please have a look around the site at the info on here about appeals
    and come back with any questions and we will do our best to assist

CR

• Gremily64
    Gremily64 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Im abit lost why do you need things off dr is this why i keep getting mine refused when i clearly do need it x
  • alibali
    I was advised by cab to get more info from doc 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Gremily

Many people clearly need benefits but medical evidence to back up your claim is very helpfully. In some cases, if enough evidence is supplied a decisioon can be made without the need for a f2f assessment

CR
  • Gremily64
    So when my hearing comes up should i ask my dr for as much information as possible about my disabilities and illness . Whats Cab?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • CockneyRebel
    CAB is Citizens Advice

If possible your should get a letter from your GP very specifically detailing your problems with the descriptor activities.

Benefits are not so much about your disabilities and illnesses but about how they affect the things you can and cannot do.

CR
  • Gremily64
    Ok thankyou well she knows how im affected that way too 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Gremily64 and alibali: I'm just really supporting what CR and others have said about the importance of knowing your way around the activities and descriptors, and identifying where the points are likely to come from which will get you over the threshold. There is excellent information on the Benefits and Work website which CR has identified above. It's true that you don't strictly need medical evidence in support of your appeal, but if you can persuade your GP or other medical person to write a letter which specifically addresses the descriptors and points which relate to you, and says exactly why those descriptors fit you, then you are a long way down the path to a successful outcome. Sometimes GPs just need to be properly informed about what is at stake, and how to set out their letter. 
    I also need to point out that unfortunately the Government changed the wording and points of the 'Planning and following a journey' mobility component earlier in the year, to make it harder for people claiming on the grounds of anxiety and depression to make a successful claim. If the following wording applies: 'Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant'.....then this will only score 4 points, which is not enough to get the mobility component. I'm not saying this to put you off, but to make sure you are aware that the goal posts have moved. 
    The Benefits and Work website is really good on these issues, and if you become a member then you can get support through their moderators, and also have access to their very thorough guides which go through the descriptors bit by bit and explain exactly how to approach the issues. 
    I hope this helps.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Gremily64
    Thankyou i will take a look. i had all my paperwork out last night and had a good look at it i last heard from court saying they had my details in july so im kind of hoping i should be hearing something soon. Ive got a drs appointment tomorrow so i will ask her about writing me something up.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.