ESA Support Group — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Support Group

Options
SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
This discussion was created from comments split from: Means testing.

Comments

• SethLaa
    Options
    I am on Contribution Based ESA (support group), would there be any effect on benefits if I was to hold more than £6k in my account, thanks in advance for any input from Sethlaa
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SethLaa, I've moved this post to our Ask A Benefits Advisor category where hopefully they'll be able to give you some information on this.

In the meantime, you might like to have a read of this information on ESA from Scope's website.
  • SethLaa
    Options
    Thanks Pippa X
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @SethLaa,

Contributory ESA is not means-tested so there is no limit on savings. Do check that you're not receiving both contributory and income-related ESA though as it's possible to have the contributory ESA topped up with income-related ESA. If it's just contributory ESA then there is no issue with savings. If you need further advice please let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• SethLaa
    Options
    Hi Debbie, I only get Contributory ESA so if I ever become wealthy (haha) then I shouldn't have a problem.
    Thanks for your input X
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    My pleasure @SethLaa, always glad to shed some light on some of these complex issues with benefits. :) 
  • saramichelle
    saramichelle Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    It's such a relief to find this group,being googling all day trying to find one.My partner has a terminal heart and lung deserve, he gets esa (they made us both claim esa) now he is entitled but mine has been stopped as I didn't get the letter for an asos interview so obviously I missed the appointment. I'm his full time carer n get carers allowance but now my esa has been refused they aren't paying him either even though he got his.I dont understand or know what to do.Can anyone help please.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @saramichelle,

I'm sorry that you and your partner's ESA has stopped because you didn't get a letter to attend a work capability assessment. This is usual practice in joint claims if one person in the couple misses an assessment.

You need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and see if there is a way in which a new assessment can be arranged. You might need help with this to build a case for good cause for missing the assessment. You'll need to focus on proving that you didn't receive the letter and this is really hard to achieve most of the time.

Have you sought advice from your local CAB or DPO? Let me know if you need help finding local services to help you with this.

Hopefully it can all be sorted out easily.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi saramichelle,

Unless you live in a full service Universal Credit area, as a carer claiming Carer's Allowance you can claim Income Support for the two of you. This will at least give you as much benefit as income-related ESA would have unless either of you are/were in the support group and is worth claiming straight away. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi saramichelle,

I forgot to add, that IS is means-tested though so any other income you have or savings over £6,000 may affect your entitlement.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.