I have my p I p assessment tomorrow !! Help!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my p I p assessment tomorrow !! Help!!

gerrys6
gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
i have a face to face tomorrow after filling in my review form I honestly said my arthritis and anxiety and depression are worse stupidly I never photocopied my form before sending it in I’m on standard for both components I’m not looking for more just want to keep what I have but I’m getting in a blind panic about not having my form to refer to! And the walking part and the daily living part I’m on strong painkillers tramadol) and naproxen and a high dose of anti depressants I can’t cope with untold questions or being told to perform like a monkey. !! 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi gerry

Don't panic, they cannot make you do anything that puts you in pain, you can refuse but you must explain why you are refusing.
    Take your medication as you normally do.
    You should not need to refer to your form, the truth is the truth
    It might be an idea to have a look throgh the self test on the B&W site just to refresh yourself about the points and descriptors

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Best of luck

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • gh49
    gh49 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    All the best to you as CR said the truth is the truth try not to panic be as you are !
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there, just remembered you haven't lied so you don't need to review your answers just speak from the truth.
    I can't find the sheet online to refer you to but there is a leaflet that says for PIP and ESA etc that 'Being ABLE to do something' means being able to do it repeatedly, without pain and in a reasonable amount of time.

So, say they ask can you walk 5 bus lengths (or whatever it is now) if you can walk that length but it takes lots of medication, more than 5 minutes, you're exhausted after etc you can NOT do it in terms of the PIP context. 

Do take someone else with you. 

Do try and remember what it's like on your or worst day not your best. 

Do remember that none of this is your fault,  that this is just a hoop to go through for you to get what you need and deserve. 

Also, you are likely to be absolutely fine, you may get more but if the worst happens you can appeal. The Scope helpline is fab for benefits advise if this happens. 

But it's more likely you'll go, do your best, plan a way to chill out afterwards and try to forget all about it afterwards. 
  • gerrys6
    Thanks all your words are great and really encouraging. 
    Its true I’m not lying but unfortunately they make u feel you are! 
  • CockneyRebel
    It is so wrong that they make us feel this way

Beware of the mobility question if they ask "how long can you walk"
    A minute or 2 doesn't sound much but slow walk is defines as 40-60 m /min
    so 2 min can be up to 120 m

CR
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Aye, it's really hard. Much easier said than done but just remember they can bog* off...

(*insert stronger word, unsuitable for scope forum,  here) 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @gerrys6

If you are asked for how long can you walk, I suggest that you relate this to distance (which is what assessors are supposed to do).  So, reply, for example, one minute to walk 20 meters on the majority of days.

At my tribunal hearing the doctor kept asking me for how long can I walk and I kept asking did he mean how long does it take me to walk 20 meters?  Anyway, I was awarded enhanced mobility, and enhanced daily living.
  • gerrys6
    Well I had the assessment my daughter and I signed in I showed my letter and I d etc then my daughter wrote her name on a list. I git there at 1 for a 1.15 appt. at 1.30 we were apologised to there’d been a mix up then same at 1.45 the reception man had made a blunder and kept saying sorry. We got into the room at 2.40!! My brain had frozen my legs had gone numb and I was really not feeling great having had a really bad headache for days now. 
    Lovely girl who done the assessment but I feel I cocked it up. My daughter said after that I said I’d not driven in 3 or 4 years I meant months!! And other little things that I know are worded to catch me out my only thoughts were I need to get home and get painkillers for my head and legs I’d worked myself up so much for the appt to then go in an hour and 40 minutes late was just too much. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi gerry

At least that bit is over, don't go beating yourself up it is hard to predict the outcome of these things.

Give it a couple of days and ask for a copy of the report.

I know you have read many of the horror stories on the forums, there are many more that have proffesional and competant assessors that we never hear from.

Try not to think about how you could have said things better / different.,  You cannot change it now so try and relax.

Come back with any questions or when you get the report

CR
  • gerrys6
    @CockneyRebel u know I git put into the Esa wrag group I’ve already had a letter from job centre to attend an interview with the same Bloke I had to sign in with last year when I was appealing he’s a jobsworth and gave me on courses etc my anxiety’s already kicked in at the thought of going there I’ve requested the decision makers report and the assessors report as you suggested they should be here early next week if I decide to go for MR on the grounds that I have severe anxiety and depression which I presume would have been taken into account as they are a big part of my claim as is the arthritis that’s very painful and stops me along with the anxieties of leaving the house will they just look at which group I should be in again if I ask or will they look at the claim again and could I lose Esa completely !! !? Any advice welcome 
  • gerrys6
    Also if the job centre worker thinks I should be in support group do they have any say? And @CockneyRebel sorry for the typos in the first question! 
  • gerrys6
    And @Matilda and @CockneyRebel she did ask me for how long could I walk I said a couple minutes but would stop I e going down my stairs I’d stop at each step as my knees hurt. But Yh definitely got had on the question of how long it wasn’t put as how far!!! 
  • gerrys6
    And I feel like after waiting an hour and forty minutes to actually go into the room that it was doomed for me to get things wrong by then because I was tired I had a terrible headache too it wasn’t a fair start to the assessment 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi gerry

At MR they should look at the whole claim, this is the same for ESA and PIP  and yes unfortunately they can remove your award.
    It is more likely that it will remain unchanged so be prepared to go to tribunal.

The job centre has no influence on which group you are in.

I love typos so no problem :)

Have you supplied a GP's letter detailing very specifically the problems you have with the descriptors ?

Any further evidence that you can get will be very usefull but not essential.

It does feel that the odds are stacked against us but don't let them win, you deserve the award that fits your needs and only you know what that is. It is up to you to educate the DWP and Tribunal, if necessary, what gerry@s life is like with the problems you have

I hope that helps, Please have a look at the info on appeals on here and come back with any questions

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.