Pip denied — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip denied

dyllisha
dyllisha Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone
I have received a decision from Dwp about my son's claim for pip.. he is 16 has asperger traits as well as asd ..

I took him for the pip interview..which in my opinion seemed to go well.

His claim was turned down ..which left me totally baffled as he only earnt 4 points on not being able to plan a journey and that was it.

They stated my son could cook and prepare simple meals ..whereas he can only use a microwave ..he cannot chop or peel use an oven or follow a recipe .. he does not understand measurements..he has poor sensory skills ..which they said he didnt

They said he was dressed fine at the interview ..so there was no issue with that ..even though i told them i put out his clothes for him  otherwise he wouldnt care what he put on..he cannot tie shoe laces ..no matter how hard i try to teach him.

He needs prompting to shower and wash his hair etc ..othewise he would not bother..they also said he was ok taking meds  even though i prompt him to do so

They also said he is ok with financed just because he knew what change you get from 1.00 if you spend 45p .. he would not know how to pay a bill or budget any amount of money.

I could go on and on here.. its as if they have completely disregarded his condition and said the opposite to everything discussed.. i am absolutely fuming .. I know I need to appeal ..but what is the best way to do this .. I just hate keep putting my son through all of this

By the way my son has an EHCP which was granted in February its a 16 to 25 one ..all of his needs were in this..stated in black and white.. what more do they need 
Thank you for reading

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/post/discussion#g7D3ocwDDBhxt3WW.99

Comments

• freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    I received a letter from capita this morning with the usual jargon saying the dwp have refered the case to capita the problem is i recently moved house so i,ve only recently been transfered to a new mental health team my questionaire had to be in by the 9th of october so seen my new phychatrist after that date so could only send limited information to capita my phychatrist has done an assesement and testing me for autism and sleep apnea as well as other mental health problems i,ve also got irraverable lung disease to which my nails are now clubbing and having another ct scan on the 18th nov all these appointments have come like i said after my capita medical form had to be in...so would capita look at my evidence i have recently got at my pip interview or will they dismiss it any help much appriciated
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Dyllisha and welcome
    The first thingto do is request a copy of the assessment report
    Next you must ask for a mandatory reconsideration within one month of the date of the decision letter.
    This is the first stage of any appeal
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi freckkles

Any evidence you send before your assessment should be taken into consideration. You should send copies to both DWP and Capita

CR
  • freckles
    Thanks its all bad timing with everything its all come after my letter had to be in but will give the dwp a ring on monday
  • CockneyRebel
    It is the assessment date that is important. Once you have been assessed no new condition can be taken into consideration, but you can supply new evidence on exiisting conditions any time up to appeal if need be

CR
  • dyllisha
    Thank you for your help..somebody i know jas given me the number of an advice and support service called sendiass ..who apparently help with pip  claims ..have you heard of them ? Also do you know if appeals are taken seriously andcre assessed by somebody else not the original assessors ?
    Thank you

• freckles
    I just read on benifit and works that judges are thinking of charging the goverment for appeals that never should have gone to appeal in the first place sounds like we mite have a foe instead of  an enemy
  • CockneyRebel
    dyllisha said:
    Thank you for your help..somebody i know jas given me the number of an advice and support service called sendiass ..who apparently help with pip  claims ..have you heard of them ? Also do you know if appeals are taken seriously andcre assessed by somebody else not the original assessors ?
    Thank you

Sorry I haven't heard of them, be very wary if it is a paid for service.
    Cab can assist with appeals
    MR's should be looed at by a different Decision maker, DM's do not have any medical knowledge so if you send new medical evidence a different assessor should advise the DM.
    The success rate at MR is not good but it must be done to progress to the tribunal who are independant and will look at all the evidence without the bias of the DWP. Success at tribunal is much better

It is important to understand the ponts system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good place to start is the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is also lots of info on here about appeals, please have a look around and come back with any questions

CR

• dyllisha
    Thank you CR that is very helpful.. i will get on the case straight away .. It us reassuring to know that tribunals are assessed by different bodies.. I have heard that many people are being turnrd down for pip..I feel their assessment point system is ridiculous ..It does not give a fair way of assessing a condition in my opinion..how can you really tell if a person has special needs by this point system ..I am shocked to say the least .. that  I have been basically told my son needs no help and twisted everything into the opposite of what is there right in front of them...medical evidence..professional input and an ehcp in place ..I just wanted to cry
  • CockneyRebel
    PIP has been made intentionally hard to get, and there is a lot of chatter on the forums about bad assessors. We seldom see the results that successfull.

Often it in not a problem with the evidence but the way it is read ( or not )
    Medical evidence is important to back up the claim but it is important to try and get evidence relevant to the PIP descriptors. If at all possible, a GP letter detailing very specifically the problems with the PIP activites will go a long way

Please do ask any questions and We will try and help you through this

CR
  • dyllisha
    Thats helpful .I will try and get a detailed letter from my gp thank you.. i will not give up without a fight. 

I have been reading alot of other comments from people on lots of forums about the problems they are having claiming pip.. I think the person who interviews you should be a professional. Who decide whether you are to get it and not be passed on to somebody who hasnt even met you..to decide the outcome .I find it ridiculous and terribly upsetting ..that a person behind s desk decides that you are basically a liar ..as thats How I felt in the reply I had about my son ..We haf tons of evidence and professionals opinions on his ehcp .. I feel so let down by the system .
  • CockneyRebel
    The dwp decision maker usually takes the HCP report recommendations, so effectively it is the "professional " that makes the decision. There may be other circumstances that are not medically related which can influence the decision made
    Because PIP is a test of functionality, the HCP is really only there to advise on whether the conditions present can and do cause the difficulties with the descriptor activities.
    The system is far from perfect, it calls for us to become disabled on the day of assessment, to put aside our carefully worked out coping strategies. We spend all our time trying to forget about our problems and get on with life to the best of our ability. It is inhumane, that to get the help we need, that we have to strip all our selves bare of the very things that make life a little more bearable

CR
  • TheIceQween
    TheIceQween Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I just completed the form cockneyreble posted in his post and my score was 30, I needed 12 for mobility and 12 for care so in that I guess it would be a yes to pip  but how do I get them to see it ? 

Brightness