Hi, my name is leeCal! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is leeCal!

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2017 in Start here and say hello!
I am the parent of a child now 30 who was born with cerebral palsy. 29 years ago we contacted scope and had a home visit, the upshot was that scope could do nothing for us at all. Twenty nine years later I’m told by a well meaning but naive individual that if my son gets a referral from his doctor scope will help find suitable accommodation and help him to live an independent life away from home as we must downsize and retire. I’m thinking that it is very unlikely that scope will help my son in this way. Am I right?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello leeCal and welcome

i am sorry that Scope was unable to help in the past, I hope that one of our advisors will be able to offer you some assistance this time.

It might be better to contact the help line on monday to discuss more easily any help that might be available

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leeCal

A very very big welcome to our online family this evening.

I have pasted you some info below for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosis/cerebral-palsy

Please please let me know if I can help you in anyway ??? 
  • leeCal
    Thanks to you both, I’ll follow the link and I may phone on Monday.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• rosie6379
    rosie6379 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi @leeCal,
    welcome! I hope you find some help. I wonder....have you tried the CAB as they are great. They could put you in touch with local charities who could also help. If you want to chat and get things off your chest....we are all here for you. 
    Kind regards
    Rosie
  • leeCal
    Thank you Rosie, I’ll try the office on Monday. Thank you for writing

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leeCal, how are you getting on?

My understanding is that whilst Scope as an organisation cannot find specific and individual properties suitable for your son, we can advise you on where to look for help and support, and also provide information on things such as possible adaptations to make your home more accessible. 

Hopefully you'll have had the opportunity to speak to somebody now, but if you do have any questions, do let us know and we'll do our best to support you!
  • leeCal
    Ok so perhaps you could give me some advice as to where to go for practical help on this issue please?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leeCal, a good place to start might be this list of accessible housing organisations, which could give you an idea of the kind of services that are available. Let us know how you get on!

Brightness