Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
robinhood8
robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
Hi everyone I'm going for my pip assessment this Wednesday please can anyone give me some advice I have CP also have arthritis in my lower back in my neck also finding difficult getting around I work full time 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi robinhood

Good luck on Wednesday.

Try not to worry, be yourself and tell the truth.

Don't be rushed to answer any question. Try to answer in the negative. For example if asked "Can you walk more than 50 m ?" instead of answering " Yes, but I need to rest 3 or 4 times" the assessor will stop listening at " Yes" and will not hear the rests that you need.
    Answer " No, but if I rest 3 or 4 times I can on a good day " the assessor has to listen to your whole answer. Try it in every day conversation.

You do not need to make any special effort, you are not going on a date. Take any medication as you normally would . If you can, take somebody with you.

Be wary of the mobility questions. Often the assessors ask how long you can walk for. This is not a trick but the activity asks how far you can walk. Walking for 1 or 2 minutes does not sound like much but try it. Guide lines for very slow walking speed is up to 40 m per minute. So one minute walking equals 8 -10 points 20 - 50 m aided or unaided. 2 minutes equals 80 m and subsequently no award as over 50 m

They may ask how you got to assessment
    If you use public transport they can assume that you can navigate and walk.

If you drive some of the assumptions that can be made are
    Holding a steering wheel - you have grip and strength in your hands therefore you can wash and dress and prep food
    Driving requires cognitive ability - therefore you can make money decisions etc.

Just a few of the assumption that can be made on innocent answers

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support and advice it makes me feel that I'm beginning for money 
    Thank you again 
  • larnny
    larnny Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Hi There! My partner has just had one of these and I wish I had looked at the PIP criteria for each section that they look at, or even taken it in with me! That way you can structure your answers to what they are looking for.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

I hope it goes well :)

Larnny

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.