Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


raxaraxa Member Posts: 37 Connected
edited November 2017 in Education and learning


  • raxaraxa Member Posts: 37 Connected
    Hi I am Raxa My son is 22 years old has autism spectrum disorders with learning difficulties. He has recently finished residential placement in end of July . He has EHC plan , he has been offered an college in Harrow he went for 2 weeks his refused to go to college, we had meeting with LEA and our social worker they if Rahul don't want to go than there isn't any other course out there he has to wait till next year.. According to my knowledge he should be in education as he has EHC plan, it has been a month setting at home doing nothing. I am worried that once his EHC plan has finished then he want get any help. Please please advise
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @raxa, hopefully an advisor will be able to assist you with this soon: I really hope you can get things sorted for your son. Best of luck and keep us updated! 
  • IndependentSupportServicesIndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @raxa,

    If your son has an EHCP and wishes to be in education, the LA must investigate all avenues into a college placement for him. If he had a placement and no longer wants to attend, the LA should look into why this is and alternatives. Your son's social worker may be able to support him with options for ongoing training or life skills until a course is found. You could also suggest he look into volunteer work. Why did he stop going to college? If it was because the course or environment wasn't right for him, you could try some taster days at local colleges and attend open days/events so he gets a clear idea of what he wants to do next.

    For more specific advice, you can do an internet search for 'SENDIASS' and your local area. This will give you contact details for your local SEN and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service. They will be able to support you with this.
  • raxaraxa Member Posts: 37 Connected
    Thank you very much for your feedback, he didn't like the college environment, I know he is very stubborn and rigged.  My son LA said that if he doesn't want to go to college we can't force him and he has wait for alternative course for next September,  please please help to draft a letter to my sons social worker because my written English is not good .

    I would really appreciate if you could help.
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @raxa

    Good evening & welcome.

    I can see that you have had some good advise/help with my colleges.

    Please please let me know if I can help in anyway ???

    Many thanks.
  • IndependentSupportServicesIndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @raxa,

    Your local Independent Support service or SENDIASS will be able to support you with this. Please email me at [email protected] and I will point you in the right direction.

  • raxaraxa Member Posts: 37 Connected
    Hi Charlotte, My son has autisum with learning difficulties , he was at residental placement for 3 years , has finished in july 2017 back home, local authority found  a course for my son at Harrow Weald without any support , he was completly lost he only went for 2 weeks we had meeting with college SEN and social worker on 11th October 2017 since then concern from any of the department i have left several messages i  SEN and social worker no reply, recently i have found him supported internship in greenford went there for 1 month have been dismissed from the course saying that he is not ready for supported internship, they have imformed me that we need more 1.1 support  please please advise as i am feeling isolated since my son back home i had leave my job,  we depending on my husband.
Sign in or join us to comment.