replacement of wheeelchair nightmare — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

replacement of wheeelchair nightmare

fredbert
fredbert Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am left totally bewildered by the decisions made by my local OT dept with regards to replacing my power assist wheelchair.

In 2010 I was given a cheque by my local health authority to purchase a wheelchair and power assist wheels which lasted until 2016. My condition had got worse I am unable to push myself in the manual chair, but I am informed I do not meet the requirements for a replacement system.

I am told because I do not use the wheelchair in my home, it is simply not practical I need to transfer into a stool to prepare meals etc, and it is easier to make my way to the kitchen etc leaning on walls etc. I do not meet the criteria and the cost of the wheelchair system is a barrier also.

What do I do, as I cannot push myself, my wife has terrible back problems of her own and is unable to push me. Do I simply accept my confinement and stay home.

What do people in my situation do, it is slowly ripping the soul out of me I stay inside seven days a week and am simply losing interest.

Comments

• fredbert
    Please excuse my bad manners my name is Ed, thanks for looking at my post and any advice is truely welcome.

Ed
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Ed and welcome

I an so sorry you are in this position.
    Do you have a PIP mobility award ?
    Does your wife  ?

I know money is tight but this does sound a step to far ( pardon the pun )

Hopefully some of our members or advisors will have some suggestions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • fredbert
    Thanks for your reply I am sorry for replying so late, I managed to fall head first and killed my laptop screen, either that or damage my neck more, such is life.

I get war pension DLA and as far as I know, there will be no changes as such here's hoping this gets sorted.

Ed
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Ed

Ouch
    I do hope you can get it sorted

Can I suggest that you put your details into one of the on line benefits calculators

If you or your wife can get a mobility award this might help your situation

I don't know your situation but most DLA claimants are being invited to claim PIP, unless you are over a certain age

I had hoped that one of the advisors would have picked upon your plight

Please let us know any deveopements or any questions you have

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Hi @fredbert, welcome to the community and sorry to hear about your current situation. I know from my own experiences that wheelchair provision services vary massively depending on where you're located.

As CR suggests, having a go at putting your details in the benefits calculator and considering applying for additional benefits could be one way of addressing the financial demands of needing a new power chair. You might also like to look into this grants search to see if there are any relevant local causes near you that may be able to help. Keep us updated and let us know how you get on.
  • fredbert
    Thanks for all the help and advice, just a sort of update to what is going on.

First, the OT said to my GP that they could not recommend the power assist wheels as they want to keep me mobile, this after so many years using my original power assist wheels.

When my wife asked the OT about this she blamed it on my GP saying it was his wish that I try to keep my mobility and not the OT's recommendation. This was insisted upon contrary to a letter from my GP stating it was the OT's  recommending I keep my mobility.

I could list more examples of the OT shifting the blame onto my GP  but will not bore people with all the problems.

What I want to know have others had the same experience and what did they do to resolve it, my wife and I are getting blatantly lied to what do we do.

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi Ed

I’m very concerned to hear that you feel that you are being lied to by your Occupational Therapist (OT).

If it is the case that the OT is unable or unwilling to recommend the equipment that you have requested then that decision should be communicated to you truthfully and not blamed on any other person or organisation.

OT’s are bound by the HCPC Standards of Proficiency for Occupational Therapists: http://www.hpc-uk.org/assets/documents/10000512Standards_of_Proficiency_Occupational_Therapists.pdf

Point 4.4 of the standards states that OT’s should “recognise that they are personally responsible for and must be able to justify their decisions”

If you feel this isn’t happening then perhaps you should consider making a formal complaint using their complaints procedure.

Setting aside the alleged lack of transparency about who is making the recommendations/decisions about this matter, it is entirely possible that one of the justifications you have been given is correct according to current criteria. It is now normal practice that NHS/local authorities won’t fund/provide powered mobility equipment unless it is being used indoors and outdoors. I appreciate that this is a change from when you were originally supplied your equipment.

Other people have already posted here about ensuring you are in receipt of the correct benefits and using the grants search to explore the possibility of charitable funding and that sounds like good advice,

Best Wishes

Jean

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Aliwally
    Aliwally Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi - we have a similar problem with wheelchair replacement. My son is a manual wheelchair user and our CCG will replace it every 5 years which is unreasonable when the chair is used all of the time to get about. I wrote to the local PALS at our CCG and they have been very helpful. 
    I have also approached our local Lions charity to see if they would consider helping with a grant towards a new wheelchair  and they have been very good. If you have access to the web you can google your local PALS and Lions, Ali

Brightness