Parenting with CP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parenting with CP

BoofyLaura
BoofyLaura Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello! my name's Laura and I have spastic diplegia. Here's the thing, I am currently pregnant with my first child, and I'm wondering how I'll be able to do things other parents take for granted, such as picking up and carrying their child, when my balance can be so poor. I've tried looking for resources online that might cover such aspects, but have found any information to be really sparse. Please does anyone have any advice or tactics they'd like to share? I really want to enjoy my pregnancy, but I can't help but really worry about my capabilities as a parent, despite the support of my friends, family, midwife and my wonderful partner.

Thanks in advance, it's good to be here! :)

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BoofyLaura, welcome to the community and congratulations on your pregnancy!

We had a discussion last year about parenting with CP, and there were some useful tips shared on there. I wonder if @Gemstr can advise any further on this now? There's also a great article on The Mighty about being a parent with CP: not so much the practical aspects, but the emotional side of raising children.

Hope this helps and let us know if we can be of any further assistance!
  • Gemstr
    Gemstr Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Hi Boofy Laura, I have Cerebral Palsy  and walk with two sticks so balance is an issue for me.My son is now 18 months old I had exactly the same feelings of worry as you, and it took over my pregnancy, if i could go back I would say enjoy being pregnant as much as you can, you will find your own techniques for doing everything. A charity called Remap  designed a wonderful crib for me when my son was small it was a crib on wheels the side came down so I could lift him in and out on my own and push him round the house to  where we needed to be. I would have been lost without it when my husband went back to work, I did all the changes of nappies on the floor. Lifting from crib to bouncer to floor  and back and I  had help from a charity called home start they came to visit me for 2hrs a week and helped with tasks to give me a break while my husband was in work and keep me company.  my cot is a standard cot but has. been adapted so the doors opened so I can lift him In and out. Now he is older and walking around I don't have to lift him as much. I did struggle to get out and about with my son. A charity called demand adapted a rollator I had to incorporate a car seat but it didn't really work for me as I didn't feel safe. However  it maybe something you could look into. I don't no how your disability affects you but am happy to talk stuff through as I have been shoes and understand how limited information is and how overwhelmed you can feel. Being a mum however is the most amazing thing and I would change it for the world
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Gemstr, I'm sure that will be very much appreciated. All good wishes to you and your son! 
  • Gemstr
    Gemstr Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    @PippaScope
    not a problem hope it helps 
    ps my last sentence should read Being a Mum is the most amazing thing and  I wouldn’t change it for the world.
    Congratulations to @BoofyLaura on her pregnancy 

Brightness