Hi, my name is rockmadmum! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is rockmadmum!

rockmadmum
rockmadmum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm a carer to my son..my other son is in a care home and has his own carers 24/7..my question is..the care provider has given 28 days notice and another provider is being bought in (who have now informed me they can't start on the start date 23.11.17 due to the tupe and competencie process)..the present provider finishes after handover on the 23rd and have said it's not their problem..my son has complex needs and a tracheostomy is ventilated and fully hoisted
Where do we stand with the present provider they have put my sons life in danger

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Hi @rockmadmum, and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear about your current issue: it must be a really challenging and uncertain situation for you and your family to be in. Has there been any input from the care home? I wonder if @Angela_Scope can offer any advice with this?
  • rockmadmum
    Hi pippa..i have now been told that the new providers will be taking over on Thursday I'm a bit hesitant that they have not had a lot of training..i am absolutely horrified that the present provider has basically washed their hands of us
  • Angela_Alumni
    Angela_Alumni Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Hi @rockmadmum

Really pleased to hear that the new provider is able to start on Thursday.

It can be a very unsettling time for everyone whenever there is a change in service provider and can take time for everyone to get to know and feel comfortable with  the new provider and new staff.

You mentioned TUPE - did some of the existing staff transfer to the new provider?  Perhaps you could ask which staff are staying as this may give you some assurance and you could ask if it would be possible for particular staff members to support your son - at least until the new staff have completed any necessary training.

You could also talk to the new provider about any particular concerns that you have. And also raise your concerns with the adult social care team at the local authority.

Best wishes

Angela

• rockmadmum
    Thanks Angela....im sure things will sort it's self out and my son will feel safe and cared for by the new providers..

Brightness